Data Engineer (AWS/ETL)
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Salary Range: $55,000 - $140,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
Work Designation. Depending on your location within the continental US, this role may be hybrid or remote.
- If you live within 50 miles of the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA or Columbia, SC, this role will be hybrid. This means you will be expected to work in the office for at least 60% of the work week. You will work from your home (within the continental US) for the remaining portion of the work week. Details of this schedule will be discussed with your leadership.
- If you live more than 50 miles from the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA or Columbia, SC, this role will be remote. This means you will be expected to work from your home, within the continental US. If the role is remote, there may be occasions that you are requested to come to the office based on business need. Any requests to come to the office would be communicated with you in advance.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What does it take to be successful in this role?
- AWS Data Platform - Cloud infrastructure, Datalake/Cloud Formation, Automation, CI/CD
- Amazon Cloud Data Storage – S3, RedShift, DynamoDB, NoSQL
- ETL Tools – AWS Glue, Informatica Suite, SSIS, Infoworks
- SQL & Relational Databases – SQL Server, Teradata, MS Access, HIVE, HBase
- .NET Framework
- MVC Framework
- Business Intelligence
- ETL Techniques
- Data Modeling
- Data Warehousing/Business Intelligence
- Meta Data Repository
- MS SQL Server
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree In Programming/systems or computer science, or related field
- Four or more years of programming experience
- Experience and understanding of multiple programming languages and applicable applications including SQL and ETL
- Experienced in Cloud data storage and consumption models such as S3 Buckets, Lake Formation, RedShift, Dynamo DB
- Experienced in working with compute engines such as Spark, EMR, Data bricks, Snowflake etc.
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Works under minimum supervisor to exercise independent decision making; Creates processes which initiate the ETL or Batch cycle; develops streaming processes for extracted data loading to destination database, including on-the-fly processing where extract and transformation phase to no go to persistent storage; Performs data profiling of source data in order to identify data quality issues and anomalies, business knowledge embedded in data; natural keys, and meta data information
- Build repeatable, automated and sustainable Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) processes leveraging platforms such as AWS cloud native – AWS Glue, DMS, Informatica, Infoworks, Hadoop, Spark processing Engines
- Creates data validation rule on source data to confirm the data has correct and/or expected values; Writes alternate workflow steps or reports back to the source for further analysis and correction of incorrect record(s) when validation rules are not passed
- Develops processes to be applied to extracted source data to move to target state; Writes data cleansing functions to get data to proper prunes data set to include only fields needed; translates source code values to target value; Standardizes free form values to codes; Derives new values through calculations on existing fields; Merges data from multiple in order to generate on consolidated source for the target
- Sorts and Aggregates records into rollup where multiple records are represented; Creates surrogate-key values to use in place of multiple natural keys; Turns multiple columns into multiple rows or vice–versa (Transposing or Pivoting); Splits multi-valued column data into multiple columns; Disaggregates repeating columns into separate detail table(s); Creates lookup tables; Looks up and validates reference information as part of data validation
- Creates and applies data validation step process in order to perform partial, full or no record’s rejection; Writes processes which handle exceptions and/or move records exceptions to alternate Transform step(s)
- Develops processes which load the transformed data into end target systems (database, file, application, etc.); may apply different techniques based on business needs including inserting new data into target; Over write existing data with cumulative information; Updates existing data at some frequency; Creates data validation steps in this layer to ensure loaded data
- Creates process cleanup after complex ETL processes which release resources used to run ETL; Creates processes to archive data
- Participates in project collaboration meeting with clients, business analysts, and team members in order to analyze and clarify business requirements; Translates business requirements into detailed technical specifications
- Works with project teams to define and design scope for each project; Creates unit test cases to ensure the application meets the needs of the business
- Ensures proper configuration management and change controls are implemented; Provides technical assistance and cross training to other team members
- Designs and implements technology best practices, guidelines and repeatable processes; Prepares and presents status updates on various projects
- Performs other duties as required
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $55,000 to $140,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.