AVP, Application Developer
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
About Our Company
Aflac Asset Management, LLC, (d.b.a. Aflac Global Investments or GI) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aflac, Incorporated (Aflac). GI is headquartered in New York’s financial district at 100 Wall Street and is the organization responsible for the overall investment activities of Aflac and its subsidiaries in Japan, the U.S., and Bermuda. With ~150 employees globally, GI manages an investment strategy focused on maximizing long-term returns with a focus on preservation of capital, subject to our affiliated insurance company’s objectives for income, asset-liability management, liquidity, and capital. GI is responsible for generating approximately $3.5 billion of annual investment income from Aflac’s general accounts from a mix of public and private assets (including strategic partnerships) across multiple geographies and currencies. As of year-end 2022, Aflac’s total general account portfolio was $111 billion.
The investment teams support GI’s overall goals and objectives by implementing, managing, and overseeing multiple portfolios encompassing different strategies across various fixed income and growth asset classes utilizing both internal teams of analysts, portfolio managers, and traders and external third party asset managers. GI utilizes a rigorous approach to deploying and managing assets driven by a disciplined strategic asset allocation which establishes portfolio parameters based on long term expectations for performance.
Please note: Aflac Global Investments' hybrid working environment requires a minimum of 3 days in the office each week
Within Aflac’s Global Investments, the Assistant Vice President, Application Developer – Business Analysis is a working member of Aflac Global Investments (GI) and the GI Information Technology (IT) team, who design, develop, and implement in accordance with the company’s governance framework, established UAT, and controls. The Application Developer – Business Analysis supports existing and new technology platforms within GI’s IT team, while delivering sophisticated development/modeling with a key focus on development of data warehouses and implementation of tools that support GI business technology functions.
Reports to: Vice President, Application Development Manager – Business Analysis
Primary Relationships:GI IT and GI business leaders across front, middle, and back office, including CIO, Portfolio Managers, Trading, Credit Analysts, Risk Management, IT and other key Aflac business partners in both U.S., Japan, and Bermuda including Investment Accounting, Tax, Legal, Actuarial, and Treasury
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the business and development teams to ensure all aspects of data input and computational needs are captured and implemented currently and with efficiency.
- Engage different teams within AFLAC for technology support; includes understanding business requirements, implement and plan to deliver desired business solutions. Work with business on all phases to ensure methodology is correct and meets growing needs of GI.
- Focus on assigned technology area within GI IT as well as understand the software development lifecycle (includes, but is not limited to; IT data modeling, IT data interface, IT business analysis, IT cloud (AWS) and IT web development, as well as new business protocols that strive for operational efficiency across the entire the GI IT and business platform.
- Experience using financial data domains and relational databases in support of all data needs for current IT projects.
- Collaborate with GI IT and businesses to ensure models are efficient and robust as deployed into production.
- Provide documentation of modeling methodologies, assumptions, and calibration techniques
- Design and develop applications using Python, QlikSense, Snowflake in Windows/Linux platforms.
- Trouble shoot and resolve technical and data issues in a timely fashion, strong communication between IT and business is required.
- Continue to enhance market data acquisition and dissemination platform for GI.
- Stay abreast of developing techniques to ensure modeling is current and robust and provide thought leadership on quantitative analysis and modeling methods
- Create, produce and present oral and written analyses and concepts, including management recommendations, to senior management
- Develop modeling methodology for complex investment strategies seeking opportunities to leverage swaps, forwards, options, hedging and other technical investment instruments to support investment team
- Provide support for creation cloud DevOps and help with GI cloud hosting initiatives.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, business analytics, mathematics, or similar quantitative degree is required. Master’s degree in similar degree a plus.
- 7+ years of demonstrated IT development and execution to further enhance the investment platform; insurance asset management experience a plus.
- Strong command of development skills with emphasis on Python and Java.
- Intermediate to strong competency in database, SQL, QlikSense, Snowflake, C++ or similar experience desired as well.
- Working knowledge of SDLC – Software Development Life Cycle
- Solid scripting skills Shell, Python, and PowerShell
- Adhere and design and programming standards to produce high quality software.
- Advanced understanding of public and private fixed income asset classes, public and private equity, alternatives and derivatives with demonstrated experience of modeling asset class risk and return.
- Experience managing or mentoring quantitative and technical teams.
- Superior analytical and critical thinking skills with demonstrated experience distilling technical work into business presentations.
- Highly organized with superior attention to detail with an ability to analyze large amount of data and extract meaningful information and identify findings in a succinct format.
- Identify and improve data accuracy and processes used in production of financial, accounting and investment reporting purposes.
Non - Technical Skills:
- Develops clear goals and execution project plans that are consistent with GI IT business objectives.
- A self-starter with a passion for problem-solving, willing to work in a collaborative and fast-paced environment, comfortable working in a fluid setting with multiple time sensitive priorities, able to identify priorities and appropriately manage time and resources.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully deliver on multiple projects, including ability to proactively work on solutions with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, including presenting to executive management
- Highly organized with the ability to work on multiple projects with different deadlines
- Extensive experience with leading modeling projects in a highly matrixed organization
- Ability to interface with all levels of management
- A team player with a strong work ethic
The range on this positions is: $68,000 to $175,000
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies, 401(k) plans, and generous paid time off. You’ll also be granted time off for designated paid holidays and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick, adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act. Applicants with criminal histories are encouraged to apply.