Associate Quantitative Analyst
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
About Our Company
Aflac Asset Management, LLC, (d.b.a. Aflac Global Investments or GI) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aflac, Incorporated (Aflac). GI is headquartered in New York’s financial district at 100 Wall Street and is the organization responsible for the overall investment activities of Aflac and its subsidiaries in Japan, the U.S., and Bermuda. With ~150 employees globally, GI manages an investment strategy focused on maximizing long-term returns with a focus on preservation of capital, subject to our affiliated insurance company’s objectives for income, asset-liability management, liquidity, and capital. GI is responsible for generating approximately $3.5 billion of annual investment income from Aflac’s general accounts from a mix of public and private assets (including strategic partnerships) across multiple geographies and currencies. As of year-end 2022, Aflac’s total general account portfolio was $111 billion.
The investment teams support GI’s overall goals and objectives by implementing, managing, and overseeing multiple portfolios encompassing different strategies across various fixed income and growth asset classes utilizing both internal teams of analysts, portfolio managers, and traders and external third party asset managers. GI utilizes a rigorous approach to deploying and managing assets driven by a disciplined strategic asset allocation which establishes portfolio parameters based on long term expectations for performance.
Working as a member of Aflac Global Investments (GI) and the Quantitative Analytic Solutions (QAS) team, work closely with other quantitative analysts, financial, planning and analysis, credit and derivatives teams in Aflac’s subsidiary, Aflac Asset Management LLC (AAMLLC). Collaborate on the development of quantitative analytic solutions to support the implementation of a large, primarily fixed income, investment strategy. Apply solid knowledge of mathematical finance to a growing, state-of-the-art quantitative platform focused on scenario analysis of current and potential investment strategies.
Reports to: Reports to: Director, Head of Quantitative Analytics and Architecture – Aflac Quantitative Analytic Solutions
PrimaryRelationships: Primary Relationships: Quantitative Analytic Solutions team, Credit Analysts, Credit and Derivatives Traders, Investment Analysts, U.S Portfolio Management, Investment Risk Management, IT, Operations, Financial Planning and Analysis (CFO Office), Investment Accounting, senior GI leaders, and other stakeholders
- Contribute to the development and calibration of models concerning:
- Portfolio simulation
- Hedging strategies and optimization in FX, IR, Credit, and Equities domains
- Strategic Asset Allocation with both total-return and income lenses
- Economic Scenario Generation and Portfolio Optimization
- Tactical Asset Allocation
- Support capital measurement and regulatory analytics (US and Japan focus) with potential exposure to other regulatory jurisdictions and rating agencies
- Longer-term projects associated with building out key functionality in the platform
- Tactical analysis using existing tools, with immediate impact on business decisions
- Explaining modeling methodology and model results to non-quants within the business
- Master Degree in mathematics, quantitative finance, physics, financial engineering, computer science or other related field; advanced degree a plus
- Knowledge of standard quant finance models (and stochastic calculus) on a practical level
- Deep orientation toward probabilistic thinking; Bayesian mindset
- Appreciation for the financial meaning and economic basis of models
- Familiarity with major fixed income asset classes, basic bond math, Vanilla FX/IR derivatives.
- Hands-on programming experience involving large projects, implementation of quantitative models, and intuition for how to write usable, and understandable, code—Python preferred, C++, SQL or similar experience desired as well.
- Knowledge of source control (Git/Github), databases (Snowflake), visualization tools (Plotly/Dash) and Big Data / ML frameworks (Scikit-learn, Apache Spark) is a plus
- Takes ownership of problems and seeks to add value, not just complete assigned tasks
- Systematic thinker who acts to increase, not decrease, the organization and clarity of information
- Seeks conceptual understanding, not just technical precision
- Ability to manage multiple projects/assignments with competing deadlines
- Comfortable with explaining quantitative ideas to non-quants and strives to break-down technical ideas into intuitive, digestible bits
- Intellectual curiosity with the ability to generate and brainstorm ideas with colleagues
- Team player
Please note: Aflac Global Investments' hybrid working environment requires a minimum of 3 days in the office each week
The range on this positions is: $65,000 - $132,000
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies, 401(k) plans, and generous paid time off. You’ll also be granted time off for designated paid holidays and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick, adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act. Applicants with criminal histories are encouraged to apply.