PLADS Group Underwriter IV
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Salary Range: $55,000 – $140,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
Work Designation. This role is remote. This means you will be expected to work from your home, within the continental US. There may be occasions that you are requested to come to the office based on business need. Any requests to come to the office would be communicated with you in advance.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What does it take to be successful in this role?
- Proficient group Life/Disability underwriting knowledge
- Strong understanding of Group Life and Disability products and services, affiliated systems and applicable operational policies and procedures
- Strong math skills
- Has extensive knowledge of changes to policies, procedures, and governance tools, to ensure processes are up-to-date, reflect new policies and facilitate implementation within own work area
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- 8 years of experience working with Group Life, LTD, and STD Insurance Products
- Experience underwriting highly credible, complex national accounts (5K lives+)
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Works closely with distributors and other operational areas to drive achievement of the business plan, leveraging knowledge to impact strategy relating to underwriting expertise, systems, procedures and processes.
- Completes assignments of the highest complexity while working within delegated authority.
- Serves as an expert in all areas of Group Life and Disability underwriting, consulting as needed, driving needed changes or developments to achieve business goals.
- Acts as a role model in providing technical underwriting expertise and guidance to customers and distributors, consistently providing excellent customer service.
- Leads development of business cases for projects to determine potential benefits, clarify the rationale for investment, and support the planning process.
- Contributes to the delivery of underwriting strategy by proactively sharing best practices across territories and functions.
- Creates productive distributor relationships through effective consultation, explaining rating decisions and guiding others to provide the correct evidence and consistently make the correct decisions.
- Completes a range of queries and referrals within agreed authority limits, measuring the exposure & analyzing the risk of each case to maintain underwriting standards.
- Consistently identifies and contributes to the development and improvement of technical underwriting standards, controls, practices and procedures to better meet business goals.
- Consistently identifies and contributes ideas and work for the development of new or enhanced propositions /procedures/philosophy, ensuring we charge the right premium for the associated risk.
- Consistently takes ownership for personal development and acts as a role model contributing to a positive and supportive team culture.
- Drives quality for the team, providing feedback on errors and providing root cause analysis of errors to avoid repeated mistakes; implements change or remedial action where appropriate.
- Actively provides technical consultation, guidance, and recommendations as a subject matter expert in order to support the resolution of the most complex customer cases and develop precedents to maximize customer service.
- Leverages key internal and external stakeholder relationships across the organization in order to ensure technical standards are adhered to and changes are implemented correctly.
- Actively promotes implementation of Life and Disability Insurance Underwriting strategies and business solutions to deliver to the organizations´ goals and expectations.
- Provides assurance that the underwriting business operates effectively by managing the relationships between difference functions and in accordance with agreed rules and frameworks.
- Performs other duties as required.
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $55,000 to $140,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.