Sr Application Developer
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Salary Range: $55,000 - $140,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
Work Designation. Depending on your location within the continental US, this role may be hybrid or remote.
- If you live within 50 miles of the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA or Columbia, SC, this role will be hybrid. This means you will be expected to work in the office for at least 60% of the work week. You will work from your home (within the continental US) for the remaining portion of the work week. Details of this schedule will be discussed with your leadership.
- If you live more than 50 miles from the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA or Columbia, SC, this role will be remote. This means you will be expected to work from your home, within the continental US. If the role is remote, there may be occasions that you are requested to come to the office based on business need. Any requests to come to the office would be communicated with you in advance.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What does it take to be successful in this role?
Language Technology Stack
- Mainframe COBOL,
Mainframe Technology Tools
Life Insurance Industry Experience
- Genelco Group+ Policy Admin iSeries COBOL
- Genelco Life+ Policy Admin iSeries RPG
Cloud Technology Stack
- Amazon AWS
- Microsoft AZURE
- Azure Power Platform
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree In Computer Science, Information systems, programming
- Six or more years of programming/systems analysis experience
- Experience and understanding of multiple programming languages, systems, as well as systems and data design and project management methodologies
- Experience in all phases of software development including design, configuration, testing, debugging, implementation, and support of largescale, business centric and process based applications
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Education & Experience Preferred
- Demonstrated experience in building and implementing model-driven, object-oriented enterprise-level business solutions and applications using Pega PRPC platform
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Works on multiple projects at a time as a member of each project team, often as a project leader
- Works on enterprise-wide small and large complex projects that require the highest level of expertise; participates on project teams, systems and data analysis, design, development, integration, and enhancement activities, as well as related maintenance and more complex production support
- Defines and develops the project scope of multiple complex projects with assistance from the project team and serves as the project point of contact when necessary
- Provides technical leadership and mentoring to application development teams
- Leads and/or participates in project-planning sessions with clients, business analysts, and team members to analyze development requirements, provide design recommendations for complex systems, and recommend methods and assignments
- Tests and implements cross-functional systems, ensuring system meets the needs of client and business
- Provides ongoing maintenance of software systems
- Handles unresolved production support issues across multiple areas of expertise
- Provides design recommendations, develops application and custom integration solutions, including major enhancements and interfaces; writes complex design specifications
- Makes complex modifications to existing software applications and modules in accordance with high specifications and division standards; reviews effort to ensure compliance to application standards
- Develops new cross-functional software systems using disciplined software development processes; makes recommendations toward the development of reusable routines or components, including object-oriented base class reuse
- Translates business and technical requirements into cross-functional business application systems, providing custom integration solutions, including major system enhancements; collaborates in setting development guidelines
- Prepares and presents status updates for various projects; serves as an individual contributor or technical lead
- On-call duties required as needed
- Performs other duties as required
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $55,000 to $140,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.