Head of Ecosystem | Innovation
Location: United States
Job Type: Not Specified
Think you know mining…think again.
BHP is one of the largest and most technologically advanced mining companies in the world, innovation is at our core. Our people get to work with some of the world's best technology to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges. The future is clear at BHP, we want to make sure we are creating a cleaner and greener future. To do this, we need our people to challenge the status quo and push the limits of what is possible – we need the dreamers, the innovators, and the challengers.
This role sits within our Innovation Team, who are intrinsic in ensuring we are on the cusp of driving our technology and innovation projects towards the future we want to have – making us a greener, safer, successful, and more sustainable organisation. Within this team we aim to future-proof the Mining Industry through leveraging emerging technologies to solve for Asset challenges, enabling us to innovate for today reimage the current mining operating model, and enable BHP to be a leader in innovating for the future.
About the Role
As the Head of Ecosystem, you will lead BHP Innovation’s global Ecosystem Development team, providing the vision, strategy and support required for this team to deliver material value to BHP. Global accountability for the external reputation and brand of BHP Innovation. Oversees the identification of high-potential technologies and partnerships which solve for existing and future business requirements. Identifies and communicates external signposts to BHP Executive Leadership Team. Owns relationship with senior external stakeholders, including Government.
Reporting to VP Innovation, your accountabilities will include:
- Defines and drives the Innovation strategy in collaboration with the other members of the Innovation Leadership Team, articulating customer and Asset needs and priorities to inform prioritisation and shape the innovation pipeline.
- Translates corporate objectives into actionable plans, communicating, managing, and analysing the implementation of those plans, and reporting back on their progress to facilitate the delivery of the strategy.
- Frames, evaluates, and communicates the risk-reward proposition of strategies, plans and decisions; improves investment methodologies, processes, capabilities, and culture to enhance investment decision quality, to maximise the long-term value of BHP.
- Maintains a wide network of impact, integrates Functions, operations, and regions, and solves complex challenges to drive strong Functional/Asset integration across BHP.
- Accelerates Innovation initiatives by engaging with senior stakeholders across BHP to remove blockers and secure required executive support.
- Ensures consistent communication and collaboration across teams within Innovation.
- Defines and establishes best practice innovation culture and practices across Innovation that drive collaborative behaviour.
- Establishes clear and effective accountabilities, ways of working and governance mechanisms to ensure Ecosystem’s objectives are pursued in a consistent and integrated way globally.
- Determines and manages budget allocations and resourcing for the Ecosystem team.
- Originates, develops, recommends, and executes commercial partnership opportunities (including transactions) that are aligned with the strategy and portfolio priorities.
- Defines how BHP Innovation wants to be known in market to inform the Marketing & Communications strategy.
- Defines the approach to engaging with and leveraging Innovation Vehicles.
- Defines the approach and process for managing partners.
- Drives and manages engagement with senior stakeholders and strategic partners.
- Validates partnerships to pursue, tiering, and decisions to continue, modify or cease existing partnerships based on performance and portfolio needs.
- Provides guidance and oversight to the regional execution of the strategy.
- Coaches and develops the Ecosystem function to ensure performance remains consistent with best practice.
As a successful candidate you will possess the following:
- Demonstrated ability to manage a wide range of internal and external senior stakeholder relationships, with high levels of credibility amongst this network.
- Demonstrated ability to identify high-value collaboration opportunities to the innovation ecosystem and successfully translate these opportunities into strategic relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to identify early indications where innovation is needed in business processes and systems, with the ability to translate this into an actionable roadmap to deliver higher value to the business.
- Has successfully identified blockers / risks to innovation initiatives and has taken action to resolve / mitigate these challenges and accelerate innovation by securing executive support and engaging with the relevant stakeholders.
- Has successfully translated the business strategy into an innovation strategy that is integrated across the business.
- Experience leading a global team.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team, establishing cultural values and ways of working that drive collaborative behaviours and leading by example.
We have flexibility for successful applicant to be base in our corporate offices which best suite applicant, team and the business.
What is on offer?
High Profile Projects
- Conceive, build, test, deploy and run turnkey, simple, highly automated, high technology, high value, end-to-end products, and services and then scale them across all our mines from WA to the globe.
- Our products leverage technology to unlock huge value for the company.
- Be a part of BHP’s long term strategic vision, to unlock the next wave of value from technological advantage.
- Training and development, including cloud, terraform or snowflake certifications.
- Work with a team who values and follows Agile and DevOps principles and practices.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.