Senior Wi-Fi Test Engineer (MR)
Location: San Francisco, California, San Jose, California
Job Type: Full time
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most important to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and more thoughtful with technology that simply works. We place a high value on encouraging the growth and development of everyone on our team. We cultivate an open and supportive workplace where everybody is given the opportunity to succeed!
About the team:
You will join the MR firmware QA/Test team that is fully embedded within Software Engineering. Our QA team builds and runs any and all software and hardware tests to ensure that new releases meet our quality and reliability standards. Our products are used in over a million networks and our customers rely on our products to serve tens of millions of people. With the large footprint that we have, quality is our highest priority.
We are looking for a Senior Wi-Fi Test Engineer who is as passionate about quality as we are! Your contributions will make a direct impact on the success of our business. Meraki engineers put customer experience first, own projects from beginning to end, and are empowered to make impactful decisions.
A day in the life of a Senior Wi-Fi QA Engineer:
You will get to work with firmware and automation engineers to scale wireless LAN testbeds comprised of access points and Wi-Fi clients from the ground up that has the ability to change topologies on the fly. You will work on our latest MR hardware through all stages of their development life cycle. Your work will feed directly into our release process transitioning to software releases for over 7 million MR access points worldwide. You will improve QA testing to increase reliability and performance across Meraki MR device firmware. Additionally, you will work closely with our product & development teams to implement tests on both automated and manual testbeds.
- Design and scale wireless testbed operations to test products and software before market launch
- Design and implement test plans to support next-generation Wi-Fi products and features
- Support firmware engineers in completing test cases, understanding test results, reproducing and investigating bugs
- Collaborate with Functional and Release engineers on the QA team to plan release timelines for upcoming software and product releases
- Collaborate with Automation engineers to scale, improve and maintain testbed operations
- Collaborate with Wi-Fi chipset vendors on a regular basis to troubleshoot and solve low-level Wi-Fi issues that might block releases
- Design and implement test plans and testbeds to support next-generation Wi-Fi products and features
- Own test topologies and testbeds from topology-diagram inception, to proof of concept testbeds that scale well, all the way to a production test in our release cycle
- Collaborate with Software teams (Platform, Features, etc) as well as Hardware and Product Management teams to develop reliable and scalable testing processes for existing and upcoming products and software features
- Have 6+ years of experience working with Wi-Fi 802.11 technology
- Have 3+ years of experience in Wi-Fi QA and testing technologies/tools
- Strong understanding of the basics of computer networking (VLANs, DHCP, TCP, UDP, VoIP)
- Proven experience with 802.11 wireless standards, channels, and specs on 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 6GHz
- Experience in analyzing Wireshark packet captures (wired and wireless) to solve and identify the root cause of issues
- Experience in creating and driving manual and system-level QA test plans
- Experience with analyzing system-level test results and identifying red flags within a test case
- Have experience working with 802.11 protocols and enterprise Wi-Fi use cases
- Have effective communication skills and proven ability to collaborate with others
- BS/MS in Computer Networking, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
Bonus points if you have:
- CWNA or equivalent certification
- Experience in configuring wireless routers or access points
- Experience in working with Jenkins and Jira
Based in our sunny San Francisco office with stunning views of Oracle Ballpark and the Bay beyond, Meraki offers an onsite gym, multiple kitchens stocked with gourmet snacks, cappuccino machines, daily catered lunches, and a generous benefits package. At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone!
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case-by-case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.: When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire salaries in U.S. locations. For non-sales roles, the hiring ranges reflect base salary and do not include bonuses, equity, or benefits. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive target, and do not include equity or benefits. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.