Software Engineer, Firmware - MR Insight
Location: San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
The MR Insight team is building a next-generation analytics platform to troubleshoot WiFi connectivity and performance issues in Meraki networks. WiFi is notoriously difficult to debug, especially in complex enterprise environments. We use telemetry from millions of devices in the field to give customers intuitive insights about their wireless deployments and to solve network issues in real time with proactive recommendations. This growing team of embedded firmware, full-stack, and machine learning engineers provides an outstanding opportunity to build impactful, high-visibility solutions while broadening your technical abilities.
What you will do:
- Propose, craft, and develop tools for customers to configure and supervise networking devices.
- Develop firmware to extract rich WiFi telemetry from devices in customer networks.
- Identify and solve performance bottlenecks to safely isolate health features from the data plane.
- Apply state-of-the-art techniques to optimize the WiFi experience of smartphones, laptops, and IoT devices around the world.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have 3+ years of experience writing professional production code in C/C++.
- Have experience working in a Linux environment.
- Have an understanding of OS fundamentals and experience in both the kernel space and user space.
- Aren’t afraid of rolling your sleeves up and working in all layers of the stack.
- Would thrive in a small engineering team and are excited to solve open-ended problems across the stack.
- Would be excited to join a people-focused team, and look forward to contributing time to help your teammates.
- Would take a focused, organized approach to development, testing, and monitoring.
Bonus points for:
- Knowledge of network protocols used on both local and wide-area networks.
- Exposure to full-stack web development
- Personal projects or contributions to open-source projects.
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t meet all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you build these skills because we believe that great engineers come from diverse backgrounds.
Meraki is headquartered in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco, with beautiful views of the Oracle Ballpark and the Bay beyond. There are also locations in San Jose, Chicago, and Austin. All locations offer a generous benefits package.
At Meraki, we don’t just accept difference – it’s one of our key values. Everybody In means we listen to each other’s opinions. Everybody is accepted and valued here, and we are a team that works as one towards our goals. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.