Principal Engineer, SD-WAN
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Simplicity. At Cisco Meraki, we believe that by simplifying powerful technology we can free passionate people to focus on their mission. Our cloud managed products are making IT easier, faster, and more inquisitive. Simplified and smarter networking means that businesses run more smoothly, and more people have reliable access to the information they need.
About the team:
You will join the vMX Engineering team that develops the vMX platforms. vMX is a routing/security appliance. vMX/MX is used in over a million+ network nodes and our customers rely on our products to serve tens of millions of people. With the large footprint that we have, quality is our highest priority. The Meraki vMX team delivers simple to use but very powerful, scalable and groundbreaking cloud managed appliances to customers.
As the first principal engineer on the vMX team, you will be the primary architect designing, developing, and implementing the architecture of the vMX product that runs on AWS, Azure, GCP etc . This role needs a very experienced, hands-on, and seasoned engineer who can improve the current architecture and plan for the next-gen architecture. You will partner with product management and engineering leadership to define the next generation technical roadmap for virtual platforms.
The first area of focus in this role will be centered on improving our current vMX architecture. We are looking for an experienced architect with deep expertise in building virtual routing/security products. They will act as an owner for the vMX data plane and control plane both.
What we look for in your background:
- 15+ years of working experience on data plane forwarding and control-plane configuration/signaling for virtualized routing/SD-WAN/Security products.
- Must have contributed in the last 6+ years as routing data plane/routing product architecture with hands-on experience.
- In-depth experience developing the virtualized products on AWS, GCP, Azure
- Hands-on design experience with more than one software data plane technology across arm and x86, such as DPDK, VPP, or Click.
- In-depth experience with L4 to L7 services (Load balancing, Firewall, IPsec VPN, NAT, IPv6, remote access and various tunneling protocols), architectures, and algorithms.
- Experience writing Linux user-space and kernel code for high-performance fabrics and I/O devices.
- Successfully delivered multiple high performance products.
- In-depth knowledge of packet processing.
- Great teammate, can-do attitude, and takes initiative.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Excellent communication skills to facilitate working across functional groups
Bonus points if you have:
- Good understanding of VPP and/or Click data plane.
- Experience with merchant silicon SDKs from Broadcom, Marvell, EZchip, etc.
- Distributed packet processing across virtual and/ or fabric architecture
- Layer 2 / Layer 3 functionality, application aware packet processing
Meraki is based in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco, with beautiful views of the Oracle Ballpark and the Bay beyond. You will have access to an onsite gym, multiple kitchens stocked with high quality snacks, a coffee bar, catered lunches every day, and a generous benefits package.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.