Director of Engineering, Meraki Health
Location: San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
Our mission at Cisco Meraki is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
As the head of our Meraki Health software team, you will lead the development of a next-generation cloud-based network assurance platform to troubleshoot connectivity and performance issues in customer networks. We leverage telemetry from millions of devices in the field to give customers intuitive insights about their networks and solve issues in real time with proactive recommendations. This growing team of cloud, firmware, and machine learning engineers has a unique opportunity to build impactful solutions for Meraki’s full networking portfolio. You will work closely with our dedicated data science and cloud infrastructure teams to deliver innovative solutions to our customers.
Above all else, your success in these efforts will depend on your ability to support and grow your team: a mix of outstanding embedded developers, full stack web hackers, and QA engineers. Meraki has always strived to hire great collaborators, so this diverse set of individuals already works closely and effectively together. You will seek to align everyone to our most important objectives, offering a vision and strategy that keeps them motivated and the product looking forward.
- Work with the CTO, product management, and other senior engineering leaders to set the technical vision and short and long-term plans for our Meraki Health team
- Lead the recruiting strategy to build a diverse and inclusive team: driving decisions on whom the team needs to hire, partnering with our recruiters to define requirements, and talking to candidates
- Mentor and coach managers and senior engineers through technical and non-technical challenges
- Develop career plans for direct reports and help them do the same for theirs
- Encourage thoughtful and creative ways to recognize achievement
- Lead performance, compensation, and promotion review processes
- Provide thoughtful counsel as a member of senior engineering leadership
- Assist with engineering-wide initiatives (offsites, training, process evolution) several times per year
- Represent engineering at external events and speaks to Meraki’s mission and vision
- Serve as the highest escalation path for issues on the team
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have extensive software engineering experience (10+ years) building networking and systems software
- Have an understanding of networking fundamentals, common protocols, and troubleshooting methods
- Have experience managing cross-functional teams of 20+ engineers and are passionate about growing as a leader
- Have experience building a team, holding decisions on recruiting and organization design
- Have excellent communication skills and can articulate a compelling vision
- Have experience partnering closely with UX Design, Data Science, and Product Management, as well as other software engineering teams
- Have the empathy and emotional intelligence to lead a diverse group of engineers and managers at varying stages of their careers
- A BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field
- Strong understanding of data science or machine learning fundamentals
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great leaders come from a diverse set of backgrounds.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.