Software Engineer - Full Stack, Meraki Health
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
About Cisco Meraki
Meraki is making IT easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. Our full stack teams build and maintain features, frameworks, and tools to craft an excellent user experience inMeraki’s Dashboard. We operate across Meraki’s entire product line, from firewalls, switches, and wireless routers to security cameras and application analytics. Dashboard drastically simplifies the process of deploying and configuring distributed networks, enabling customers to debug networking issues in real time from anywhere. Its rich data visualizations help users detect trends in network traffic and foot traffic alike. Meraki Engineers put the customer experience first, own projects from beginning to end, and are problem solvers.
We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a larger company without sacrificing our startup spirit.
About the role
We are looking for a Full StackSoftware Engineer (typically, 3 years or more of proven experience) to help build features and architect efficient, scalable and reusable front-end systems that driveMeraki’s Dashboard, the core web application. Via this dashboard, our customers can control their entire Meraki stack: access points, firewalls, switches, client devices, cameras, and more.
You will be joining the Meraki Health Team which builds new features and services to provide our customers with a simple, measurable and accurate way to evaluate and maintain network performance. Our vision is to transform networking data into intelligent actions. You’ll be joining a team of 6 engineers, 2 PMs and 2 UX designers with a diverse set of backgrounds spread across Texas, California and Canada.
What you will do:
- Design, develop, scale, and maintain the tools for customers to configure and monitor networking devices all over the world.
- Grow our newly designed alerts and troubleshooting framework as well as other high impact technology projects; help neighboring teams start using these tools.
- With the help of product managers and UX designers, you will construct intuitive and powerful workflows to solve important problems for IT professionals around the world.
- Collaborate with other globally-distributed teams including UX specialists, firmware engineers, SREs, engineering and product managers.
- Contribute to a kind, inclusive team that’s enthusiastic about simplifying networking products for our customers.
- Work on projects that span numerous domains — networking, databases, web app development, systems — to help our platform scale to handle enormous amounts of data.
- Make an immediate and significant difference to the hundreds of millions of users that rely on our access points, switches, security appliances, cameras every single day.
- Would like to think about systems — their edge cases, failure scenarios, and life cycles.
- Experienced in writing professional production code, as well as analyzing, monitoring, and solving sophisticated web services.
- Would thrive when you’re given freedom and autonomy.
- Experienced in building rich web UIs (e.g. React or Redux, or Angular, or Vue).
- Experienced in UI architecture, client-side performance & instrumentation considerations, cross-browser compatibility, and security issues.
- A focused, organized approach to design, implementation, testing, and quality.
- Are interested in career advancement. We're looking for strong individual contributors who want to make an impact across the tech stack.
- Would thrive in a small engineering team and are excited to solve open-ended problems across the stack
- Experienced with SQL and any RDBMS.
- Dedicated and have the ability to influence, facilitate and work collaboratively across teams.
Bonus points for:
- Experienced in web backend technologies (e.g. Rails, or Django, or NodeJS, or Golang, or Scala).
- Experience with networking technologies, or data science/data analysis.
- You love solving scalability challenges.
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! You don’t need to have a background in computer networking or security either. We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from a diverse set of backgrounds.
To give you a taste of what you could be learning in your time at Meraki, our tech stack:
- Git, SVN, Gerrit, GitLab, Jenkins, TeamCity
- Postgres, LittleTable (our own time-series DB), ElasticSearch, Redis
- Debian, Ubuntu, OpenStack, AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform and Vault by HashiCorp
- gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- ELK, Graphite, Grafana, Prometheus
- Maven, sbt, CMake, Artifactory, NGINX, Free RADIUS
You will be working in a team where every team member is focused on doing what they love and enjoy. For example, some team members are amazing at building backend services but didn’t come in with as much frontend knowledge.
Life at Cisco Meraki
We are passionate about building real products that our customers love. We are confident you will love it here.
As a Cisco Meraki employee you can expect:
- A supportive and lively environment and a team that values your contributions and helps you grow; regular career conversations.
- A lot of opportunities for professional and personal growth via employee-led groups and mentorship programs. Check out one of our groups — Women of Meraki on Twitter and Instagram.
- Paid time off to volunteer (5 days a year), and much more.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to craft the technologies that give us connected cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unusual personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns. We are inspiring leaders and tech enthusiasts. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers. We Are Cisco Meraki.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.