Network Support Engineer- Support (San Francisco)
Location: San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
As a Network Support Engineer, you will provide exceptional technical support for our growing client and partner base. As a confident and outspoken decision maker, you will investigate and resolve problems for the entire Meraki product line, including our wireless access points, security appliances, switches, and other technologies. Our support engineers are foremost problem-solvers, passionate about networking, and we seek hard-working, and tech-savvy individuals to build upon our always growing product lines and teams. Our customer-facing role will expose you to a diverse group of teams within Meraki - including but not limited to Engineering, Product Management, and Sales - providing opportunities for career growth in a lively and fast-paced environment.
Within our Support Team, we see the problems our customers experience first hand, and we are able to influence the direction of our organization and products! We are looking for people who like to take charge, plan, and guide others through sophisticated problems, and can both teach and learn from those around them. Successful Support Engineers have previous experience in supporting or testing LANs, VLANs, VPNs, NAT devices, APIs, DHCP servers, experience installing and solving problems with WiFi networks. Additionally, they also have the ability to multi-task while thinking on their feet.
Effectively work alongside third parties such as partners and customers regarding technical issues and customer service inquiries, primarily over the phone and in writing.
- Diagnose and solve wireless, security, switching, and other various network-related issues reported by Cisco Meraki customers and partners.
- Own each customer case from initial creation to resolution.
- Collaborate with other support team members to fix network outages, incorrect configurations, and sophisticated networking issues on customers' devices.
- Read and analyze packet captures using Wireshark.
- Work with our engineering and product management teams to diagnose and resolve critical, escalated issues.
- Understand and use Linux console commands to identify and resolve issues with Meraki devices and Meraki Dashboard services.
- Use acquired knowledge to suggest, edit, and write in-depth Knowledge Base articles.
- Stay up to date on Meraki features and technology by completing instructor-led and self-paced training modules.
- A foundational understanding of and firsthand experience with network technologies including firewalls, content filters, routing/switching, VLANs, VPNs, and 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless.
- Detailed and thorough comprehension of networking protocols including TCP, STP, ARP, Ethernet, OSPF, etc.
- Experience supporting or testing LANs, VLANs, 802.11 wireless networks, VPNs, NAT devices, & DHCP servers.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to clearly and concisely articulate both technical and non-technical concepts to third parties.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Excellent time management, follow-through, and attention to detail.
- Experience in computer networking-related problem solving, critical thinking, and troubleshooting.
- Ability to multitask and work under stress.
- Working towards or have a bachelor's degree in Computer Information Technology, Information and Computer Technology, Networking and IT Security, or a related field.
- Networking certifications a plus: CCNA, CCNP, CWNA, etc.
Why Cisco Meraki:
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking ambitious risks to craft the technologies that give us connected cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unusual personalities who aren't afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns. We are encouraging leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars! We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers. We Are Cisco Meraki.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, encourage innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.