Full Stack Engineering Manager - Rails and React
Location: San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for crafting and implementing features that improve the reliability, simplicity, and performance of our Dashboard! You will collaborate with senior back-end engineers, SRE, firmware engineers, and other full stack engineers to architect, design, and maintain software that spans Meraki product lines. The dashboard provides visualizations that allow our customers to manage and deploy their networks, switches, cameras and sensors while easily identifying and resolving issues.
As a Software Engineering Manager you will:
- Mentor junior engineers and encourage the professional growth of everyone on the team.
- Partner with Product Management and Product Engineering teams.
- Be responsible for growing the team, retaining talent, and providing technical direction and career development opportunities.
- Collaborate with engineers across product teams to architect features that delight our customers.
- Foster a culture of quality, teamwork, and inclusiveness.
You are an ideal candidate if you have:
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- 2+ years of leadership experience on projects involving meaningful planning and coordination
- Experience in web backend technologies, like Ruby on Rails or Go
- Experience in building rich web UIs with React and Redux
- Can implement efficient database design in a relational database (we use Postgres)
- The ability to work and collaborate across multiple product lines
Bonus points for:
- Experience or willingness to work in an agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
- Have working knowledge of networking protocols
- Experience with real-time dashboards
- Experience working with third party vendors and contractors
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, GitLab, and Jenkins
- Experience managing agile projects and using agile methodologies such as Scrum and/or Kanban
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great teams come from a diverse set of backgrounds.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.