Technical Lead, Backend Engineer, IoT
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us.. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a larger company without sacrificing our startup vibe.
The IoT team is a growing, fast-paced team building Meraki's latest product line of environmental sensors, cameras, and other physical security devices with a unique architecture focused on helping our customer’s secure and scale their physical spaces. We are embarking on creating an entirely new product line where you will have an opportunity to join at the ground floor.
As a Meraki Technical Lead Backend Engineer on the Meraki IoT team, you will collaborate with machine-learning, mobile, firmware and full-stack engineers to design, plan, and build a new product category to surprise and delight our customers.
What you will do:
- Lead by example and are a hands-on architect building systems alongside a team
- Working with collaborators to set product vision, define, and deliver on technical roadmaps spanning multiple organizations or teams
- Drive complex projects and direct a team of engineers to build and deploy critically important, 24x7 solutions in a SaaS environment
- Lead our next generation cloud architecture to achieve horizontally-scalable, cloud-managed services that can support our future growth and empower developers to maintain a rapid pace of innovation
- Cultivate a culture of craftsmanship where development and quality engineers work together to deliver a high-quality experience throughout the entire product lifecycle
You’re an ideal candidate if you have:
- 7+ years of related experience and are recognized as a strategic problem solver in internal and external forums, with extensive technical, market and business expertise.
- Experience with modern application development methodologies (CI/CD, Agile/DevOps)
- An interest in getting consensus and setting technical direction across a large engineering organization
- Experience in building from scratch and/or evolving large web applications
- Experience developing and optimizing large-scale backend applications demonstrating your public cloud knowledge (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience building systems that are performant at enterprise scale
- Familiar with distributed systems development, container & container orchestration technologies
- Experienced working and helping build test automation systems, deployment pipelines
Bonus Points For:
- Knowledge of relevant camera and video technologies (RTSP, HLS, WebRTC, WebSockets, h.264/h.265 client-side rendering)
- Knowledge of wired and wireless networking protocols
Life at Cisco Meraki
We are passionate about building real products that our customers love. We are confident you will love it here.
As a Cisco Meraki employee you can expect:
- A supportive and fun environment and a team that values your contributions.
- A lot of opportunities for professional and personal growth via employee-led groups. Check out one of our groups — Women of Meraki on Twitter and Instagram.
- Actionable and candid feedback on a regular basis following Radical Candor.
- Delicious catered meals every day, fully-stocked kitchens and all you can eat snacks.
- Paid time off to volunteer, and much more.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S. and/or Canada:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. and/or Canada locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. or Canada hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.