Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most relevant to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and more thoughtful with technology that simply works.
The modern world runs on the internet, and the internet cannot exist without its underlying infrastructure. Meraki makes setting up, leading, and maintaining that infrastructure easier than it has ever been before. Meraki enables connectivity everywhere from neighborhood cafes to education institutions to global hospitality groups operating thousands of sites.
You are an inspiring and hands-on innovator, mentor, and coach, conversant and passionate about emerging opportunities. You lead by example and demonstrate excellence in collaboration and communication across engineering teams and business units with a curiosity about creative problem solving and a consistent track record for leading and directly chipping in to the launches of new platforms and/or groundbreaking architecture changes. You are proficient at writing code and deploying it into a multi-tenant distributed architecture and understand the nuances and implications of carrying customer network traffic at scale. You are also an effective spokesperson and champion for engineering teams, passionate about mentoring and developing engineers and teams. You are a problem solver who is equally comfortable and capable of dealing with technologists as with senior business executives with the ability to articulate the value of the proposed solution. You value simplicity at scale and are dedicated to maintaining a culture of quality, reliability, security, and focused execution.
As a Distinguished Engineer You Will
- Lead by example and are a hands-on architect building systems alongside a team that can span multiple systems and business leaders
- Develop significant amounts of production code, particularly during early stages, while providing guidance to more junior engineers as they take on different parts of a system for which you are the primary architect
- Lead technical strategy and development in distributed large-scale cloud-native technology stacks that operate across multiple cloud providers and on-premises data centers
- Work with partners and leaders spanning multiple organizations and teams to help set product vision as well as define and deliver on technical roadmaps
- Provide technical feedback for critical platform and systems development outside of your primary product work you're doing
- Drive complex projects and lead a team of engineers that may or may not report directly to you.
- Build and deploy critical, 24x7 solutions in a SaaS environment
- Problem solve, debug, and fix with advanced development skills
We are looking for:
- You have 20+proven experience and are regarded as a strategic problem solver across a broad set of constituents across your company and/or industry
- You have extensive technical, market and business expertise.
- Deep experience with modern application development methodologies (CI/CD, Agile, DevOps)
- Ability to get consensus and set technical direction across a large engineering organization
- Experience with networking and security protocols and implementation of high-speed, high-scale, dataplanes that carry critical customer traffic
- Experience with virtualizing network and security functions in a hybrid on-premises and cloud environment, including AWS, Azure, GCP, VMWare, Openstack, etc.
- Understanding of core networking protocols such as IPv4, IPv6, BGP, IPsec, and familiarity with many others.
- Familiarity with distributed systems development, container & container orchestration technologies such as kubernetes, docker, EKS, etc.
- Experience working and helping build test automation systems
Keywords: SRE, Site Reliability Engineering, Engineering Enablement, Release Engineering, Developer Tools, Software Engineering, GitLab, GitHub, CI/CD, Jenkins, Artifactory, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Athena
Why Cisco Meraki?
Meraki is based in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco, with beautiful views of the Oracle Ballpark and the Bay beyond. This position can be 100% remote work from home. However, if you prefer to work onsite at the San Francisco office, you will have access to an onsite gym, multiple kitchens stocked with high-quality snacks, a coffee bar, and catered lunches every day. We offer a generous benefits package to all our Merakians - remote, hybrid, and onsite.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S. and/or Canada:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. and/or Canada locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. or Canada hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.