Technical Leader, Full Stack ( Cloud-connected hardware devices)
Location: San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We're making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. We maintain a positive relationship with other Cisco and business units and groups, that gives us the stability and resources of a larger company without sacrificing our startup vibe.
We’re making IT easier, faster, and smarter. Our cloud teams build and maintain our cloud applications, which manage millions of networks, cameras, and sensors all over the world. Our customers use the Meraki web dashboard and programmable APIs to monitor, configure, and automate critical IT infrastructure that serves tens of millions of people every single day. Cisco collects extensive amounts of data from devices all over the world. We write millions of data points each second globally every day. With this data, we power Dashboard and a rich set of programmable APIs that allow our customers to gain insight into the state of their networks.
*** Please note that this position requires commuting to a Bay Area office (San Francisco, CA or San Jose, CA) and the preference is to work onsite 2 days per week. ***
About the Role
The Cloud Monitoring team is working to bring the simple, cloud networking experience that Dashboard offers to more Cisco products. Our engineers work on some of the busiest systems at Meraki, extending their capabilities for the growing portfolio of devices in Dashboard.
What you will do:
- Work across the full stack, building highly scalable distributed solutions that enable delightful user experiences and measurable business growth
- Develop and support new features and infrastructure for rapidly emerging business
- Ensure reliability, performance and operational excellence of these systems by adding tests, telemetry and alerting systems
- Take complete ownership from conception to production release by demonstrating your ability to influence, facilitate, and work collaboratively across teams.
- Contribute to teams direction, by partnering with other engineering teams and multi-functional partners (Product Management, UX etc)
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- 8+ years of experience working on large scale systems for cloud-connected hardware devices preferably networking devices.
- 3+ years of experience in web backend technologies, like Node.js, Django, Ruby on Rails, Scala or Go.
- Would thrive in a fast paced engineering team and are excited to tackle open-ended problems across the stack by rolling your sleeves up and working in all layers of the stack!
- Enjoy mentoring and coaching other specialists, and leading large technical projects
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Java/Scala, Ruby on Rails, and Postgres.
- Have working knowledge of network protocols used on both local and wide-area networks.
- Experience with leading/contributing to production operations (CI/CD, oncall, monitoring/alerting, incident postmortems)
- You’ve worked with relational or time-series databases before, either directly via SQL or an ORM.
- Experience or willingness to work in an agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
Life at Cisco Meraki
- We are passionate about building real products that our customers love. We are confident you will love it here.
As a Cisco Meraki employee you can expect:
- An encouraging and lively environment and a team that values your contributions.
- A lot of opportunities for professional and personal growth via employee-led groups. Check out one of our groups — Women of Meraki on Twitter and Instagram.
- Actionable and candid feedback on a regular basis following Radical Candor.
- Delicious catered meals every day and fully-stocked kitchens and all you can eat snacks.
- Paid time off to volunteer, and much more.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S. and/or Canada:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. and/or Canada locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. or Canada hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.