Director Partner Technology Strategist
Location: Chicago, Illinois, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, San Francisco, California, United States
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.
Our partner ecosystem is at the forefront of bringing this powerful mission to life and it’s the Global Partner Solutions (GPS) organization that will drive the transformation of this ecosystem to accelerate cloud growth for all partners and Microsoft.
Partner Technology Strategist (PTS):
The PTS is at the forefront of our digital transformation efforts for our partners. The PTS plays a critical role in working with partners to align their technology roadmaps with Microsoft's technology priorities, to enable working with them to build new solutions that enable customers to realize the vision of Digital Transformation. The PTS is a trusted Technical Advisor to Partners C-Suite technical and practice management executives sharing a compelling technical vision leading to Partners committing to building new practices based on Microsoft’s technologies. PTSs align partners technology roadmaps with Microsoft’s technology priorities and ensure the partner is enabled to bring new solutions to market that drive significant growth in partner and Microsoft revenues.
The PTS is a strategist yet stands out because of their Insights and ability to envision possibilities, Thought Leadership, Big Ideas, helps identify new market opportunities for partners on advanced technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Open Source, Blockchain, Security & Compliance, Power Platform, Dynamics365 applications, GDPR and IOT that drives consumption for Microsoft Cloud Platforms (Azure, Microsoft 365 and Dynamics 365).
The PTS role is a unique opportunity to shape and support the technical direction of the world’s largest strategic Global ISV software partner ecosystem across Industry Verticals and Solution Areas in the Cloud. You will have the opportunity to drive one of the fastest growing businesses at Microsoft that is at the leading edge of the shift to cloud services and digital transformation, and shape the world’s largest partner ecosystem within specified industries.
The PTS works in partnership with the Partner Development Manager (PDM) through the `Build-With’ stages of the ISV Life-cycle engagement, as well as with other PTSs and Architects in the broader org to provide specialized technology skills that are needed when it comes to Industry and Solution Area-specific use cases with ISVs.
Microsoft welcomes and embraces your individuality! The ideal candidate for the Global ISVs PTS role can come in many forms. This individual is passionate about Cloud insights, innovation and technology as well as one who possesses a strong subset or combination of the requirements listed below.
We embrace flexible working as a core principle of reinventing productivity, and you’ll have flexibility to work from different locations, such as your home office, Microsoft offices around the country, or customer sites.
- Acts as the voice of the partner and internal advocate by providing insights, feedback, and challenges from the partner to internal teams (e.g., product groups, engineers).
- Supplements existing technical decision maker (TDM) and/or business decision maker (BDM) relationships with additional ones at the C- and direct-report level by researching organization charts, identifying and contacting TDMs/BDMs, and beginning to advise on solutions and position Microsoft offerings.
- Attends Digital Transformation/Technology conferences such as Microsoft Build. Participates in technical panels and user groups, provides insights, and contributes to work that is shared across communities such as Engineering feedback, MSDN and others.
- Provides analysis of overall partner needs and advises on gaps that would benefit from Microsoft solutions, using an understanding of the business strategies and outcomes that technology can support; advises internal teams on how to identify and address gaps in order to drive end solutions.
- Ensures execution of technology strategy and/or digital transformation by identifying and resolving technical blockers that arise during strategy planning and implementation and driving technology adoption.
- Creates mid-term to long-term (e.g., 12 months plus) technical and business roadmaps for one or more accounts, outlining the digital transformation journey and core wins; drives and articulates business changes in the roadmaps around foundational, traditional capabilities. Builds technical engagement or enablement plan, captures baseline, and drives envisioning to support mid-term to long-term business plans.
Demand Generation and Orchestration
- Orchestrates internal teams to ensure sufficient technical resources for demands, from a limited pool of resources, when appropriate.
- Envisions the important interdependencies of 3rd party solutions, services and equipment, as well as Partner-to-Partner motions for better together strategies among different partners and partner types
- Secures commitment from critical or high-stakes partners to develop innovative and complex solutions using Microsoft technologies in collaboration with partner, and builds solutions into the partner ecosystem to enable partners to sell to end-customers.
Differentiated Value Proposition
- Drives conversations with mid to large-sized partners that present the strategic relationship between Microsoft technologies, products, and services compared with the competitor's solution and the partner's overall business goals and objectives.
Education and Thought Leadership
- Uses existing and new readiness resources to support enablement plans for partner technology adoption at the national and regional level. Contributes to innovations to accelerate meeting goals for partner capacity, maximize reach and impact and drive long-term engagement and thought leadership on the Microsoft platform.
- Provides strategic input to virtual team members (e.g., Account Team) using a thorough knowledge of Microsoft technologies, partner accounts, and digital transformations and their context in the competitive landscape.
- Orchestrates execution and monitoring of projects/programs in accordance with partner plan to develop solution offerings and value realization across a variety of solution areas; sets timelines and milestones, and tracks progress toward objectives; builds industry knowledge and establishes technical credibility with partners to drive the project agenda.
- Helps the customer/partner to be successful with their solution implementations and digital transformations by helping to anticipate issues and how to address them. Identifies multipliers for technology adoption; ensures that solutions meet client needs while also optimizing the solutions to drive technology consumption.
Partner and Industry Insights
- Orchestrates teams to gather information, collaborate on performance markers, and identify potential risks in partner accounts. Brings in business and industry insights to address the broader business challenges for the partner and deliver solutions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Business or related field AND 8+ years technical consulting, technical consultative selling, product development, or related technical/sales experience
- OR Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Business or related field AND 6+ years technical consulting, technical consultative selling, product development, or related technical/sales experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- Deep understanding of digital transformation business drivers, cloud platforms, emerging Cloud trends and their impact on customer opportunities.
- 5+ years of related working experience with ISVs in technology solutions/practice development, Cloud/Infrastructure technologies required.
- Knowledge of MS platforms preferable, project management, technical Sales and technical account management.
- Strong Technical knowledge in at least two of the three Microsoft Cloud Platforms preferred (Azure, M365, D365) and ability to articulate the value proposition of Microsoft Cloud services to partners.
- Strong understanding of industry plays, trends and how technology can address some of the industry challenges with proof of 5+ year working record and cloud adoption.
- Proven track record of building deep technical relationships with CXOs and building cloud consumption share in Software vendors.
- Experience in building new practices and solution offerings on a public cloud.
- Extensive experience of leading virtual teams across functions and geographies and companies
- Inclusive and collaborative - driving teamwork and cross-team alignment.
- Strong partner relationship management and solution development skills.
- Strong executive presence including communication and presentation skills with a high degree of comfort to large and small technical audiences.
- Problem solving mentality leveraging internal and/or external resources, conflict resolution, and follow through with partners.
- Envision what’s possible
- Technical BS degree, Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.