Senior Sourcing Engineer
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
We're looking for a strong sourcing engineering candidate with experience sourcing leased and owned network circuits as well as colocation space and power. The ideal candidate must be able support, influence and deliver Network infrastructure sourcing/acquisition services in a fast-paced production environment—you must be agile and able to adapt to changing conditions and priorities. This role also requires excellent analytical, communication, and collaboration skills. You will be working with people from many different teams and backgrounds requiring an open mind-set. You must be able to identify and partner with other groups to achieve joint or complimentary goals. A proven track record of successfully managing projects, driving contractual improvements through service agreements and lower cost are skillsets needed to be demonstrated, resulting in measurable impact to be successful in this role.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- High energy, results oriented individual to help build and deliver the network that powers the world’s largest online services
- Lead project initiatives for all aspects of cloud infrastructure network in the Americas including metro, long haul, and network colocation
- Own and drive commercial and contractual negotiations with vendors
- Identify cost saving opportunities throughout the network portfolio on new, existing and augment projects
- Support our colocation efforts within the region to ensure resiliency, diversity and quality uptime of our network services portfolio
- Collaborate with internal teams to identify and define strategic initiatives to meet growth and expansion requirements
- Region and market topology expertise/SME to determine specific routes and deals that meet Microsoft network requirements
- Build long term strategic relationships with key vendors and industry experts
- Communicate progress internally and collaborate with network deployment
- BS or BA degree (In lieu of degree, 4 years relevant work experience)
- 5+ years of Network Infrastructure Sourcing (procurement) including dark fiber, lit wave services and data center colocation negotiations and procurement
- 5+ years of experience in networking technologies (operations, delivery, planning, engineering, etc.)
- Understanding of Fiber terminology and associated technologies
- Demonstrated experience with circuit delivery and terminology
- Strategic negotiations and/or business development obtaining services from high-technology providers in data center and Internet technologies with deals in excess of $10M
- Experience with driving contractual/MSA negotiations
- 7+ years of Network Infrastructure Sourcing and strategic negotiations and/or business development obtaining services from technology providers in data center and Internet technologies
- Extensive experience with contract development and vendor management
- Solid working understanding of domestic and global carrier networks
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time
Describe the ideal candidate
- Strategic negotiations and/or business development experience obtaining services from high-technology providers in data center and internet technologies
- A demonstrable track record of improving workflow processes, increasing efficiency and reporting on critical processes
- Can speak to practical examples of performance metrics and the development of key performance indicators
- Experience in influencing engineers in technical discussions
- A passion for networking or data center technologies
- Will be comfortable in conversation dealing with networking topics covering route mapping, procurement, installation, support and operations
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including financial analytics.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, determine best course of action and drive permanent resolution
- Ability to successfully influence without authority and manage efforts through relationships.
- Ability to inspire leadership and trust across teams and organizations
- Ability to promote a collaborative environment and bring a positive attitude to difficult situations.
Background Check Requirements:
ESO and Tented roles:
Candidates must meet Microsoft, customer and government security background screening requirements for this role. These requirements currently include, but may change, and are not limited to:
- Microsoft Cloud Screen Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Screen background check upon hire/transfer and every two years after that while in this role.
Tented roles only – additional clearance requirements:
- Please contact LX Business Program Manager for current requirements.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.