Senior Data Engineer
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Baltimore, Maryland, Bellevue, Washington, Boston, Massachusetts, Charlotte, North Carolina, Chicago, Illinois, Dallas, Texas, Miami, Florida, Mountain View, California, New York, New York, Palo Alto, California, Redmond, Washington, San Francisco, California, Seattle, Washington
Job Type: Full time
The economics and pricing of cloud computing is a true greenfield opportunity and becoming more data-driven in pricing decision making could easily drive fundamental changes to Microsoft Azure that have significant material implications for the business. The Data Engineering team within Azure Business Planning is looking to take our cloud pricing to the next level.
Are you looking for an opportunity to be part of one of the most innovative teams and help to create the best user experience and business models in the Cloud? Do you want to be a Sr. Data Engineer on an elite Data Engineering team? Are you passionate about using data to improve customer experiences and business performance? Do you have strong technical data skills and a desire to use those skills to improve decision making for pricing in Microsoft’s cloud services?
If so, we’d love to hear from you! We are looking for a detail-oriented Sr. Data Engineer to take ownership and be responsible for the development and implementation of our data pipeline for pricing data science.
- Use data to deliver pricing prototypes and actionable pricing insights that drive improvements to the Azure platform and its customers.
- Design, develop, and maintain data pipelines, back-end, and front-end services for reporting, monitoring, analysis, and related functions.
- Ship high-quality, well-tested, secure, and maintainable code, and continuously improve the tech stack to maximize the data engineering efficiency.
- Work in collaboration with teammates to ensure reliable and trust-worthy data for critical business decisions to improve reliability, scalability, and efficiency.
- Work collaboratively with data engineering teams as required to acquire all necessary data to support project needs.
- Build data processing tools, libraries, frameworks and performing and get insights from data analysis.
- Learn and use tools like Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Explorer, PowerBI, Python and more public and Microsoft internal tools.
- Grow data engineering culture and best practices.
- Continuously learn about pricing analytics industry trends and keep the key stakeholders educated.
- 6+ years technical experience in data engineering
- OR Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, or related field AND 3+ years technical experience in data engineering
- OR Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, or related field AND 2+ years technical experience in data engineering
Additional or Preferred Qualifications:
- 7+ years technical experience in data engineering
- OR Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, or related field AND 4+ years technical experience in data engineering
- OR Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics or related field AND 3+ years technical experience in data engineering
- OR Doctorate Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- Ability to work across multiple models; be able to identify and recommend different data sources across Microsoft
- Demonstrated ability to impact/influence engineering and project teams
- Experience with data pipelines to deliver insights for service optimization, improving product experience, and COGS reduction
- Experience working with machine learning models and proficiency with distributed big data analytics
- Expertise with A/B testing and analysis of machine learning models, and optimizing models for accuracy
- Strong coding and development skills in programming languages (e.g. C#, Java, etc.) and with scripting languages (e.g., PowerShell, Python, etc.)
- Proficiency with standard libraries in Python
- Deep practical hands-on experience in SQL, Synapse, Azure Databricks, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Lake V2, Azure Purview, and Power BI / Azure Analysis Services
- Experience and knowledge of building warehouses technologies including Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Lake, SQL, Spark, Power BI etc.
- Experience with TensorFlow/PyTorch and deep learning models is a plus
- Solid understanding of probability, statistics, and data science
- Experience with, or familiarity of, Microsoft customer and commercial models and databases
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.