Senior Sustainability Program Manager
Location: Austin, Texas
Job Type: Full time
As Microsoft scales to become the global leader in cloud deployments and services, we will embed sustainability across the product lifecycle by deeply understanding the sustainability impact of our supply chain and cloud hardware underpinning our cloud growth. With a science and data centric approach we will lead a sustainability transformation, leveraging a multitude of data sources and information to successfully reduce environmental impact through cloud products, platform and hardware engineering, engagement with suppliers and enabling a supply chain transformation.
This role will be critical to leading this transformation, helping to develop and implement our Cloud Sustainability Platform. The platform will enable sustainability to redefine key processes across hardware infrastructure, operations, and products to help decouple business growth from environmental impacts resulting from greenhouse gas emissions, waste, water consumption and ecosystem loss. The Cloud Sustainability Platform will deliver key performance measures to leaders who require insights into tradeoffs between cost and sustainability of future business investments. Engineering and operations teams will rely on the platform for critical sustainability data to reduce environmental impact. Product teams will ingest platform data to build sustainability into products including the Microsoft Emissions Impact Dashboard and Sustainability Manger.
Microsoft’s Cloud Supply Chain & Provisioning (CSCP) team is responsible for key aspects of the cloud supply chain, from planning and execution to capacity provisioning, decommissioning and dispositioning of datacenter assets worldwide. CSCP also has responsibility for managing and executing the cloud sustainability strategy, ensuring that the cloud supply chain is continually optimized to support Microsoft’s environmental commitments for a sustainable future.
#CSCP #CPDE #sustainability
- Work broadly with internal and external customers to collect requirements, identify risks, build schedules, allocate resources and execute the launch of platform features
- Partner with cross-company sustainability teams; engineering, data science, customer product development, and operations, to build best-in-class, accurate and timely cloud sustainability solutions and process
- Translate sustainability methodologies into platform business requirements to quantify environmental impacts across GHG emissions, water and waste of Microsoft Cloud operations
- Determine platform priorities for engineering teams through understanding business dependencies and tradeoffs. Advocate for appropriate resourcing to deliver on organizationally aligned priorities
- Partner closely with Microsoft Cloud for Sustainability, M365 and Azure customer facing product teams to enable and co-develop customer products driven by cloud sustainability data
- Parter with Cloud Supply Chain teams to develop requirements and provide sustainability insights and transform core supply chain processes across the cloud value chain from procurement to hardware end-of-life
- Work closely with stakeholders and data science teams to develop impact metrics, insights and reporting visuals to drive action through data visualization and story-telling
Required skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree AND 4+ years experience in engineering, product/technical program management, data analysis, or product development OR equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience managing cross-functional and/or cross-team projects
- 2+ years experience in environmental, renewable energy or corporate sustainability focused roles
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Experience with GHG emissions and sustainability methodologies used for calculating environmental impacts
- Strong understanding of the cloud business, cloud hardware, and the cloud supply chain
- Familiarity with environmental indicators and impacts, particularly with respect to carbon, energy and waste
- Comfortable navigating, transforming, and managing large and complex data and developing insights to support business initiatives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills across a wide array of stakeholders including internal teams, customers and senior leadership
- Demonstrated program management skills, including ability to direct multiple programs
- Ability to indirectly influence and work independently or as part of a team
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.