Critical Environment Technician
Location: Quincy, Washington
Job Type: Full time
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a Data Center Critical Environment Technician.
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I Critical Environment Technician, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development of all employees and offers trainings and opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action!
As a successful Critical Environment Technician, your success is measured by:
Equipment and Systems Operations
- Serve as an operations specialist in one major area of CE operations (e.g., electrical, mechanical, controls, generators) and works on advanced tasks independently.
- Inspect and supervise critical environment-related facility equipment (e.g., controls, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning [HVAC], mechanical systems), building, and grounds regularly for unsafe or abnormal conditions and escalate per applicable policies and standards.
- Utilize telemetry, control systems, and other platforms, to monitor performance of maintenance and operations of equipment (e.g., electrical, mechanical, fire/life safety) within the data center.
- Utilize internal computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) to track all equipment assets and to complete work order requests for maintenance work.
- Safely and quickly respond to and leads an onsite incident response team for all abnormal conditions that impact operations, and coordinates with other critical facilities professionals to perform corrective repairs, without supervision.
- Enhance, develop new or follow preexisting emergency operating procedures (EOPs), methods of procedure (MOPs), and standard operating procedures (SOPs) in relation to CE operations and incidents.
Equipment and Systems Maintenance
- Under minimal oversight, perform various types of maintenance (e.g., planned, predictive, corrective) and repairs following methods of procedure (MOPs), and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for one or more types of equipment (e.g., electrical, mechanical, cooling systems), correct procedures and equipment, and escalate when appropriate. Serve as a subject matter expert for 1+ types of equipment.
- Have a hands-on understanding of how equipment works within disciplines they have been trained and how to troubleshoot equipment, systems, subsystems, and components independently within their trained discipline(s).
- Coordinate and schedule supplier/vendor on-site activities and recognizes circumstances when to stop supplier work to address potential and/or identified concerns.
- Takes part in getting third-party work underway (e.g., making sure systems are properly energized/deenergized), ensuring the work is started and completed in a safe manner in accordance with standard practices, procedures, federal/local legislation, and municipal codes.
- Provides consultation to lower-level colleagues in troubleshooting systems and problems.
Critical Environment Culture
- Understands, follows, and ensures safety and security requirements (e.g., job hazard assessments [JHAs], toolbox talks), and business processes and procedures to properly perform work in a safe, quality, and reliable manner in accordance with applicable federal, state, local, and Microsoft requirements.
- Maintain safe working conditions and escalate immediately when unsafe working conditions are observed.
- Assesses and identifies appropriate resources and equipment necessary to fully support environmental health and safety (EH&S) objectives.
- Participates in required meetings, trainings, and necessary handoffs.
Microsoft reviews all applications that meet the below Required Qualifications.
For this role, you are welcome to apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 5+ years mission critical services work/applied learning experience (e.g., high availability assembly / manufacturing / critical infrastructure environments such as data centers, oil and gas refineries, hospitals, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, or related fields) or equivalent experience.
- Ability to work 12 hours shifts, including shift assignments during non-standard business hours that may include evening, nighttime, weekends, and/or holidays.
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent AND 7+ years mission critical services experience (e.g., high-availability assembly/manufacturing/critical infrastructure environments such as data centers, oil and gas refineries, hospitals, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, or related fields)
- OR, Associate degree or technical trade certification (e.g., military, trade school), or higher-equivalent education)
- Proficient in written and oral English communication to support regional and global teams.
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.