Senior Software Engineer
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is a company where passionate innovators come to collaborate, envision what can be and take their careers to levels they cannot achieve anywhere else. This is a world of more possibilities, more innovation, more openness, and the sky is the limit thinking a cloud-enabled world.
Microsoft’s Intelligence Platform engineering team is leading the transformation of analytics in the world of data with products like Power BI, Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Explorer. We will bring the world’s data to the Microsoft Cloud, power a new class of data first applications, and empower everyone on the planet to make better decisions with data.
We do not just value differences or different perspectives. We seek them out and invite them in so we can tap into the collective power of everyone in the company. As a result, our ideas are better, our products are better, and our customers are better served.
The working population on the planet is over 3 billion people. Our opportunity with Power BI is to empower everyone to make better decisions with data - starting with the 300 million information workers using Office 365.
We are the Analysis Services Engine team which is the data processing engine behind Power BI service. Our analytics engine is used by Power BI family of products as well as SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) and Azure Analysis Services (AAS).
Power BI is a very successful and rapidly growing business analytics service and our team is directly responsible for its database engine. SSAS is the box part of the multi-billion-dollar SQL Server product line. AAS is a PaaS offering under Azure branding and is one of the top emerging Azure services.
The core Analysis Services engine has a bright future as the adoption of the AS Engine grows through these product lines. Our team works primarily on the AS engine as well as components that integrate this engine into the Power BI and AAS service infrastructures.
We’re a tightly knit team and allow everyone a chance to work on and move between any part of the product, including AS Engine, service infrastructure, cloud scalability, and service quality. We also constantly provide peer feedback to help each other grow and it is also heavily used in annual review and promotion evaluation. If you would like to join a transparent and healthy competitive environment, we look forward to working with you!
We are looking for passionate people with experiences working with all service aspects of high throughput and multi-tenant services, ability to design components carefully, properly handle errors, write clean and well-factored code with good tests and good maintainability.
- We are looking for engineers to work on back-end systems
- Design and develop distributed systems. Coding is critical to this position
- Deploy systems to production. Production health is a direct responsibility of this position, including on call duties
- Define and monitor metrics to track both production health and feature adoption
- Work with customers to resolve their issues and gather requirements for new features
- Work with Microsoft stakeholders in and out of the immediate team to make sure our code is compliant and secure, as much as it solves customer problems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics
- 5+ years of professional development experience in C++, C#, Java, or Python
- 5+ years of experience in developing and shipping complex and scalable software systems, managing live site incidents
- Have a deep desire to work collaboratively, solve problems with groups, find win/win solutions and celebrate successes
- Great design and problem-solving skills, with a strong passion for performance analysis, quality, and engineering excellence at scale. Great curiosity and willingness to question
- Solve problems by always leading with deep passion and empathy for customers. Get excited by the challenge of hard technical problems
- Our code runs on hundreds of thousands of machines on multiple continents. Knowledge of distributed systems, including high-performance distributed storage, databases and networking is strongly preferred
- Experience in database internals (e.g., B+ trees, query optimization) a major plus
- Experience in compiler internals (e.g., MySQL/PostgreSQL query compiler, C++, .NET) a major plus
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check:
- This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.