Cloud Network Engineer
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Mountain View, California, Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers Microsoft's cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating our unified global datacenters; managing the demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and responsible for all of the operations needed to run the physical infrastructure (including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams). We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data driven engineering, cost-effectiveness, and environmental sustainability.
We deliver the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform. Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and over 1 million servers. Our portfolio is built and managed by a team of subject matter experts working 24x7x365 to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
This core infrastructure is a target for cyber criminals, hacktivists, and nation-state adversaries that seek to bring harm to our businesses, customers, and staff. Holding the line against them these threats is the Datacenter Cyber Defense and Industrial Networking team! We are Microsoft’s industrial strength security team!
With a focus on safety, resiliency, and recovery the Datacenter Cyber Defense and Industrial Networking team is responsible for fielding and operating our datacenters cyber security systems, controls and processes that protect and defend Microsoft’s datacenters operational technologies (OT), industrial scenarios, and other mission critical infrastructures from cyber threats.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
The Datacenter Cyber Defense and Industrial networking team is seeking a motivated, talented, and cyber security focused Network Engineer to join our team! This role works collaboratively across a larger engineering team managing the structure, deliverables, timelines, and prioritization for designing, delivering, automating, securing, and providing operational support for critical industrial networking programs, services and projects in existing and future datacenters.
The cloud business is booming, that means datacenter activities and growth is booming! Our datacenters work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year – so our programs and services must too be designed, built, and operated in such a way to support that growth and execution model. You will work within the Cloud Operations and Innovation engineering teams as well as partner across external teams handling datacenter engineering, support teams, design and build teams, and key decision makers across CO+I division.
Partnering closely with the peer engineering organizations your role will be to design and deploy network solutions and manage them in a true DevOps fashion. You will be required to possess deep technical skills in Network & Security and drive projects with heavy reliance on key partnerships with global datacenter operations teams and functions at varying levels of the business, teams responsible for the design and delivery of datacenters, Azure network engineering and architecture teams, and all groups affiliated with Microsoft Datacenters (Business & Property groups).
The candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills with an ability to speak and present effectively to all levels of business and be willing to jump into any situation to help provide design, support and troubleshoot issues in a 24x7x365 engineering environment.A successful candidate should be able to execute following responsibilities:
- Performs technical analysis and leads the design architecture of network or security plans for the enterprise. Analyzes network or security requirements of the business and architects’ solutions that will include highly available and resilient designs.
- Expert in Network, Cloud, and Cyber security disciplines. Proficient in one or more programming languages (preferably python) and develops automation to deploy and maintain systems.
- Installs, upgrades, and maintains network or security hardware, operating system and software as needed leveraging automation.
- Participate in on-call DRI rotation to support network services.
- Oversees complex infrastructure network or security projects, including design, deployment, and monitoring.
- Apply analytic techniques for diagnoses and insights, then using automation in the form of self-healing, attempt to auto correct faulting components to restore service health.
- Define scope, design, and deploy network hardware solutions, including configuration automation via Python & Ansible.
- Manage our network infrastructure ‘as code’ leveraging software coding practices.
- Performs complex incident management and problem resolution for network and security systems. Collaborates with Information Technology staff and business personnel in the creation and turnover of solutions for production-level operations.
- Acts as a source for direction, training, and guidance for less experienced department staff
- A BS degree in Computer Science (or equivalent work experience) and a minimum of 1+ years in supporting/troubleshooting and deploying networks.
- 1+ years’ experience in network design, implementing, and supporting Datacenter networks.
- Automation skills in at least one programming language, preferably Python and APIs as they relate to Network Automation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability, strong team player who enjoys a fast-paced atmosphere.
- 1+ years’ experience with network authentication systems such as TACACS+ (Cisco ISE, Duo)
- Strong experience in routing and switching protocols, VPNs in large enterprise class or service provider networks.
- Very strong technical knowledge of enterprise networking solutions for very large environments
- Experience with SD-WAN technologies.
- Network hardware from Cisco, Arista and Palo Alto
- Any security certifications like CCNP or CCIE Route & Switch are preferred (not mandatory).
- Any experience with industrial control systems is preferred (not mandatory)
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, commitments, and projects.
- Ability to influence and drive consensus on multiple technical views.
- Self-starter, self-motivated, directed, and passionate
- Ability to learn very quickly in a fast-paced environment.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.