Support Escalation Engineer - Azure (Mandarin & English speaking)
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Charlotte, North Carolina, Fargo, North Dakota, Irving, Texas, Issaquah, Washington
Job Type: Full time
With over 15,000 employees worldwide, the Microsoft Customer Experience and Success (CEnS) organization is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of the Microsoft end-to-end customer experience. This newly expanded organization reflects the Microsoft ambition to be known as a customer experience company, ensuring our Microsoft mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more is enabled by delighting customers and consistently exceeding their expectations in every interaction through a connected customer experience.
Microsoft has a tremendous opportunity to exceed customer expectations and drive greater customer loyalty and trust, which leads to greater satisfaction, retention, and growth. The CEnS organization is looking for people with a passion for delivering customer success to help us build a future where customers come to us, not only because we provide industry-leading products and services, and also because we provide a differentiated and connected customer experience that is rooted in our commitment to delivering on customer outcomes.
Support Escalation Engineers (SEE) serve as Senior technical leaders for Microsoft customers and partners, via phone, email chats, forums and web. They deliver value by collaboratively solving customer problems, providing proactive support advice, promoting product quality and enhancements, and creating self-help assets to broadly reach more customers. SEEs contribute to the success of others through mentoring peers, delivering one-to-many education and advising Managers on the development of the Team.
The strong suit of an SEE is in employing problem isolation techniques, assets, and product knowledge to solve problems. They investigate and solve highly complex technical issues requiring expert product or service knowledge. They act as a subject matter expert regarding product , configuration and will often employ sophisticated troubleshooting tools such as analysis of event logs, component traces, and performance traces to resolve customer issues. SEEs collaborate with experts from across the business, including our Development Teams.
Response and Resolution
- Reviews complex issues (e.g., multiple components of a product) and contacts customers to understand issue. Ensures customers stay informed as to the status/solution of their issue. Utilizes troubleshooting tools (e.g., event logs, performance traces) to help resolve customer issues.
- Acts as an advisor to the customer and handles complex, repeatable, or escalated cases that may become politically charged. Creates technical articles or knowledge base (e.g., edits or creates news/ knowledge-base articles) that is internal or customer facing for better customer understand. Provides best practices and education to ensure customer understands the problem in order to proactively resolve potential issues in the future.
- Performs complex product troubleshooting and remediation when needed. Works alongside the development teams to drive incident resolution for configuration, code, or other service deficiencies impacting customers. Analyzes patterns of problems and identifies workflows to optimize support engineering delivery for a team or region level.
- Collaborates on cross-team and cross-product technical issues by working with resources from other groups including support engineering groups, product groups, services team, and account team as needed to resolve complex customer issues.
- Implements end-to-end readiness programs (e.g., mentoring, leading triages, content creation, brown bag sessions, blogs, quality assurance checks, writes technical articles) and contributes to the content and readiness strategy. Mentors Technical Support Engineers or members from other teams outside of Customer Service and Support (CSS). Develops expert level competence on support topics.
- Provides feedback to more senior engineers or serviceability team on functionality of products based on engagements with customers. Provides feedback to the product group for product improvement. Leverages overall product knowledge to determine if and when features require enhancements.
- Engages with engineering team to investigate product bugs, provides business impact, and collaborates with appropriate stakeholders and senior team members on fixes.
- Contributes to and/or develops automation techniques and diagnostic tools to improve cross-group effectiveness.
- Translates feedback and creates processes and workflows for case resolution.
- Participates in case triage meetings and/or case discussions to share knowledge with other engineers and contribute to more rapid customer solutions. Utilizes learnings from triage meetings to identify and communicate readiness needs to manager or readiness team.
- Implements strategic business decisions with customers, partners, and teams to increase market share. Influences peers to implement strategy.
- 5+ years technical support in Azure IaaS, technical consulting experience, or information technology experience
- OR Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), or related field AND 3+ years technical support, technical consulting experience, or information technology experience.
- Fluent speaking, ready and writing in Mandarin and English
- Shift Work Qualification: 4 days a week including weekends and holidays.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Microsoft Technology Certifications.
Knowledge in the following area within Azure IaaS:
- Knowledge of at least one of the following domains:
- Cloud Computing
- Microsoft Azure Platform
- Server Operating System (Windows/Linux)
- Virtualization Microsoft Azure Platform
- Microsoft Azure architecture and its components (Fabric, Compute, Storage)
- Operating System & Networking:
- Master in supporting Windows Servers.
- Master in supporting Linux (Redhat/Ubuntu/etc.).
- Experience in Core Linux Administration (boot process, file systems, network device and protocol configuration) OR managing cluster environment (SUSE, RedHat, Veritas) OR core OS services such as: SSH, telnet, FTP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, Samba, LDAP
- Experienced in network configuration, troubleshooting, subnetting, Proxy services/servers, VPN, HTTP, TCP/IP protocols, iptables and route table support, general DNS services, and route/bandwidth problem diagnostics.
- Experienced in Web Server troubleshooting: IIS, PHP, Apache, Tomcat, etc.
- Experienced in Network performance fine-tune.
- Experienced in Enterprise Security solution design and troubleshooting.
- Experienced in 3rd party application-level troubleshooting or issue isolation.
- Master in Container technology
- Experienced in Docker, Containers, Kubernetes and/or could deployment technologies.
- Experienced in Container networking.
- Experienced in building and maintaining application components in CI/CD (Git, Jenkins etc.).
- Kubernetes Administration Certification (CKA) preferred.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check. This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
The salary for this role in the state of Colorado is between $117,600 and $144,000.
At Microsoft, certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.
Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.