CE Electrical Engineer
Location: Boydton, Virginia
Job Type: Full time
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a Critical Environment Electrical Engineer.
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I Electrical Engineer, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development for all employees and offers trainings and growth opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action!
As a Critical Environment Electrical Engineer, your success will be measured by:
- Develop basic knowledge of industry trends, competitors' products, customer experience, and advances in various engineering fields. Consult with other engineers to help understand and apply advanced concepts.
- Assist in the creation and execution of robust, scalable, secure, and extensible designs and/or verification plans for the electrical engineering aspects of a well-defined feature or product extension (e.g., a product refresh, or line extension).
- Participate in creating intellectual property. May file patents within personal area of scope and complete necessary patent documentation.
- Implement known solutions to common technical and/or design challenges, with some guidance from other engineers.
- Read device specification sheets and interpret common details required to design and test various hardware features.
- Develop design documentation which could include drawings, specifications, schematics, or diagrams for features of well-defined products with guidance and direction from a manager or other engineers.
- Review supplier or partner technical sheets for available parts and choose appropriate parts needed to support product development.
Testing and Verification
- Ensure that test requirements are included in documentation and specifications for a feature or product.
- Determine the appropriate test equipment (e.g., oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, logic analyzers) for measuring a feature of a product according to existing verification plans, with minimal supervision from other engineers.
- Write design verification test cases using standard templates and test methodologies.
- Develop, review, and execute test plans and/or infrastructure for standard features or products.
- Assist in developing automated testing solutions and independently conduct automated testing on standard feature areas or products.
- Gather data for external testing supplier or partner selection options.
- Assist in setting up and breaking down testing environments with guidance and supervision from other engineers. Follow safety guidelines.
- Participate in the development of dashboards or reports for testing and quality metrics that can be utilized to characterize hardware and hardware performance.
- Analyze and interpret results of data and statistical analyses to identify common problems or flaws that may affect a feature or product design change and bring them to the attention of other engineers or team leads.
- Assist in the development of basic test fixtures for use in testing or validation of new product features under guidance from other engineers.
Technical Project Implementation
- Follow project implementation schedules to deliver the hardware engineering aspects of a well-defined feature or product. Escalate issues to management as necessary.
- Implement and track product plans, under guidance from other engineers.
- Highlight potential issues that may affect downstream execution of projects (e.g., performance vs. reliability and manufacturing concerns).
- Research new tools, technologies, or processes for project implementation and provide reports to project team members.
- Assist in implementing risk assessments (e.g., supplier or partner delays, incomplete specs, or tool issues) into project plans.
- Communicate project progress/status within the project team and escalate issues as necessary.
Reporting and Documentation
- Follow established procedures to participate in creating detailed reports and functional specifications for a well-defined product feature or extension, based on audits and information from product development and verification processes.
- Document essential details about materials, components, and/or assemblies for a device via accepted release processes. Accurately record and track changes to designs following established processes with some guidance from other engineers.
- 6+ years of technical engineering experience with industrial or commercial field engineering in mission critical facilities and electrical infrastructures.
- Must be a US Citizen
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field AND 5+ years of technical engineering experience
- OR Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field AND 3+ years of technical engineering experience.
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Criminal Justice Information Services: This position may require passing a background check conducted through the CJIS criminal justice information system by authorized local, state, and/or federal agencies.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.