Software Engineer II
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft Azure Edge + Platform (E+P) is a globally distributed team of engineers, architects, program managers, product managers, business program managers, business administrators, user experience researchers and designers who are responsible for the platform for Microsoft and for delivering Microsoft’s edge vision. We create the most reliable and trustworthy OS and platform services to empower Microsoft and our customers to achieve more. We unlock the next wave of opportunity at the edge through an at-scale ecosystem driving widespread adoption of our Microsoft cloud services.
Azure Edge + Platform brings together Edge platforms, devices, and services to deliver Edge solutions, operating systems, and engineering systems. Driven by its customers' needs, Azure Edge + Platform seeks to accelerate growth for Azure, E&D, and Microsoft's customers worldwide.
The organization's portfolio spans the Cloud Edge Stack, Azure Engineering Systems, Azure Media services and Microsoft's Operating Systems including the Azure Host OS and Windows. This portfolio impressively powers the world with more than one billion monthly active devices.
The vision of the Enterprise and Security (ENS) group is to provide security across the portfolio of the Azure Edge & Platform. This includes building secure solutions for devices running at the edge as well as the infrastructure that powers Azure. Specifically on the Cryptography team, we are focused on building the cryptographic primitives for the one billion devices across the world.
Are you interested in working on core cryptographic technology and solving technically complex problems across a vast array of products? Do you want to develop software that will impact millions of customers and is directly tied to billions of dollars of revenue? If yes; consider the Cryptography team!
Our team works on open-source cryptography across Windows, Linux and Constrained Environments that needs to meet strict performance, reliability and compliance standards as required by our customers. We work at a fast pace, with a focus to ship early and often and with a culture around attention to detail, introspection, and accountability. Our team fosters a collaborative environment and builds upon one-another's ideas, empowering engineers to deliver creative solutions through bottoms-up innovation and delivering world-class value at a rapid pace.
As a member of our team, you will lead design and code reviews across feature areas and participate in all stages of our engineering lifecycle. Developers in the team are expected demonstrate breadth, depth, and leadership. You will work with multiple partner teams and are expected to coordinate across many product lines.
This position is for someone who is:
- Passionate about cryptography and engineering.
- Enjoys the challenge of working on multiple products.
- Looks to drive innovation within a product and become an industry leader.
- Love new technological challenges and excels at solving them.
- Excels at identifying bottlenecks and engineering solutions for performance sensitive scenarios.
- Writes well-crafted, well-tested, readable and maintainable code.
- Participates in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge.
- Shares knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, and evangelizing appropriate tech and engineering best practices.
- Is comfortable working on cryptographic engineering, include highly mathematical concepts and low level program development.
Enjoys working with open source technology.
- 2+ years of experience programming in C, C++ or Assembly
- 2+ years of experience working on Windows, Linux or other OS development
- Knowledge about cryptographic algorithms and implementation for Operating Systems
- Fantastic design, coding, problem solving and analytical skills
- Bachelor's degree or higher in computer scienece/engineering/math or related discipline or equivalent work experience
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to effectively collaborate across teams and ship production features in a fast-paced environment
- Adaptability (responds, explores, constructive attitude)
- Growth Mindset (It starts with a belief that everyone can grow and develop)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Background Check: Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.