Principal Software Engineer
Location: Aliso Viejo, California, Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Houston, Texas, Los Angeles, California, Raleigh, North Carolina, Reston, Virginia, San Jose, California
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is a company where passionate innovators come to collaborate, envision what can be and take their careers to levels they cannot achieve anywhere else. This is a world of more possibilities, more innovation, more openness, and the sky is the limit when building a cloud-enabled world.
Microsoft’s Intelligence Platform engineering team is leading the transformation of analytics in the world of data with products like Power BI, Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Explorer. We will bring the world’s data to the Microsoft Cloud, power a new class of data first applications, and empower everyone on the planet to make better decisions with data.
We do not just value differences or different perspectives. We seek them out and invite them in so we can tap into the collective power of everyone in the company. As a result, our ideas are better, our products are better, and our customers are better served.
Analytics. We provide a range of products that enable data engineers and data scientists to extract intelligence from all data – structured, semi-structured, and unstructured. We are in the process of integrating our disparate products into Azure Synapse Analytics with a set of experiences that are meant to simplify and accelerate time to value.
We are looking for engineers to lead the development of the core components of the cloud Data Warehouse that powers SQL analytics in Azure compute. You will work in areas related to the transactional store and distributed query processing to build an elastic and scalable cloud Data Warehouse and enable Tier1 enterprise workloads in Azure Data Lake. We are looking for passionate people with experiences working with all service aspects of high throughput and multi-tenant services, ability to design components carefully, properly handle errors, write clean and well-factored code with good tests and good maintainability.
Your core responsibilities would include:
- Leading development on features from the front, driving the development lifecycle for ambitious features from prototype/inception all the way to widespread customer adoption.
- Generating software specifications, proof-of-concepts, and prototype solutions given high level feature requirements.
- Working closely with team members to unblock each other and share learnings and knowledge.
- Using data and telemetry to improve feature work and propose feature improvements to existing products.
- Working in constant communication with customers and stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering or Mathematics or Physics or IT technical discipline.
- 10+ years of software design, development and architecture experience.
- 7+ years of building commercial grade, robust and scalable solutions in C#/C++/C or any other object-oriented programming.
- Experience developing Cloud online services or extensive experience using cloud online services.
- Experience in Distributed Big Data systems is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.