Software Engineer II
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Bluetooth technology revolutionized the way we interact with PCs and mobile devices and experience the world with Bluetooth wearables and accessories and other Bluetooth-enabled consumer products without the hassle of wires. Bluetooth technology recently reached an incredible milestone with the completion of LE Audio standard specifications enabling enhanced and more resilient audio streaming over Bluetooth LE transport and introducing exciting new capabilities. LE Audio standard specifications are created to advance and enhance the performance of Bluetooth audio solutions, provide improved codecs, add support for hearing aids, and enable Auracast™ broadcast audio which will pave the way for new experiences such as listening to announcements in public places, unmuting public screens that were previously silent and offering ability to tune in to public broadcast streams using personal devices without disturbing others.
From power efficient and low latency audio and input solutions to novel applications in AR/VR, gaming and nearby sharing, Bluetooth technology is undergoing rapid growth and development in several other important directions. This provides a great opportunity to deliver great technical impact and contribute to this exciting innovation trend.
The Bluetooth platform team at Microsoft is seeking experienced system software engineers who enjoy working with wireless technologies and drivers and designing system software. On the Bluetooth platform team, you will work with a large team of technology domain experts and seasoned software developers at all layers of OS from system drivers to application interfaces and collaborate with several other partner teams. Your role will include reading and understanding technical documentation and industry standards, authoring and reviewing detailed software design specifications, developing new software features and relevant automated functional tests, bringing them to ship quality, and enhancing and maintaining existing software on in-market solutions.
- Cross-disciplined partnership with a team of software developers, data engineers and product managers to define requirements for new Bluetooth connectivity scenarios on Windows OS
- Designing clear, robust software interfaces
- Creating and documenting software designs
- Developing, testing, debugging system level software, along with related test and sample application software
- Reading and understanding Bluetooth industry standards
- Performance and power assessment, integration, and customization of Bluetooth drivers
- Software Hardware integration, co-existence assessment and device bring up
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field combined with relevant work experience
- 3+ years of professional experience with C/C++ development
- Technical problem-solving skills and willingness to learn proactively
- Technical written and verbal communications skills
- Coding, testing, and debugging skills in C/C++
- Great collaboration and communication skills
- Great problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated experience of shipping products
- MS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field
- Familiarity with fundamental OS concepts
- Familiarity with system level programming
Cloud Background check:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check:
This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.