Principal Software Engineer - Identity Platform, Microsoft Entra
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
At Microsoft, our core mission is empowering every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Microsoft Entra sits within our Security, Compliance, Identity and Management Division and is at the heart of the day-to-day technology experience for billions of humans globally, playing a critical part in enabling everyone to achieve more. Our suite of products powers everything from Windows to Office, Azure to Xbox. Microsoft Entra is a dynamic and inclusive team which cares deeply about our customer experience and works to solve extraordinarily complex problems at extreme scale. If that sounds fun, we would love to meet you!
Identity Platform seeks a Principal Software Engineer to help our team tackle some of our most complex problems – our Platform team, of which you would be a part, is charged to increase availability of mission-critical services, building better software to serve over 1B humans globally. Are you passionate about distributed systems, and how to build and run them at extreme scale? Are you curious, a learner, someone who seeks to be a force multiplier through your contribution?
This opportunity reports to the Partner Director of Engineering for Identity Platform within Entra. You will have a broad role driving architecture and execution of some lynchpin services in Identity, e.g., our API gateways. These services process millions of requests per second, powering hundreds of billions of authentications per day, and with challenging availability targets (>99.99%). You will have strong opinions, weakly held, about how to ship critical software quickly and safely. This is a hands-on role, you will need to be equally comfortable designing the better mousetrap, providing thoughtful actionable feedback on other engineers’ proposals, balancing better vs. best, and rolling up your sleeves to ship the new mousetrap from whiteboard into production.
- 7+ years’ relevant experience in software engineering.
- 4+ years’ experience leading technical architecture for one or more complex services.
- Experience working at a Cloud Service Provider, building and delivering software services/products on a Cloud Platform.
Nice-To-Have (Not Required):
- Strong track record as a hands-on engineer designing and delivering elegant solutions to meet complex design and architectural challenges in a cloud services environment.
- Deep practical experience operating high-scale services in production environments. You’ve got hard-earned experience and opinions on what great observability looks like, what safe deployments look like and whether to push code on Fridays.
- Proven ability to lead and drive consensus across leadership, team, and organizational boundaries and to deliver outcomes – the scope of this role is company-wide.
- Extensive experience influencing executive leadership and executive stakeholders.
- Excellent communications skills, comfortable presenting to large audiences and customers.
- Experience driving complex outcomes, partnering with teams across multiple time zones and across organizational boundaries – the scope of this role is division-wide.
- Prior experience with performance analysis and optimization of web services and software.
- Prior experience building services which run on Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud or Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
- Prior experience working in the Identity and/or Security domains.
The ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years there after
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.