Principal Software Engineer
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Do you enjoy designing & building full-stack products that provide value to our Enterprise customers? Are you excited about building innovative technologies that protect our customers from cybersecurity threats? Do you thrive in a collaborative & a data-driven environment? Do you enjoy working with talented software engineers, program managers, data scientists and security researchers?
We are a collaborative, fast growing, and fun group with a startup mindset. We are part of Microsoft’s Security, Compliance Identity & Manageability (SCIM) division. Our mission is to help protect our customers with truly innovative cybersecurity technologies. We are committed to defending Microsoft customers from cyber-attacks as well as providing sophisticated capabilities for securing important devices & data. Making our customers succeed with our solutions is what excites us every day! Our team has people from a wide variety of backgrounds, prior work & life experiences, and we are eager to maintain and grow that diversity. We foster a strong culture of learning & a collaborative work-environment.
We are building numerous cybersecurity products & services for Enterprise & Consumer customers. Our products offer intuitive and easy-to-use UX that delight our customers. Our cloud services leverage Big Data and employ the latest advancements in AI/ML. Key product lines built by our division include world’s leading Anti-Virus, the Microsoft Defender Antivirus (AV), Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) solutions, Microsoft Threat Experts and more. Our products and services are foundational drivers for Microsoft 365, and are a major growth opportunity for Microsoft.
As a Principal Engineer in this team, you will get an amazing opportunity to demonstrate leadership at both business and technology level. You will be part of a diverse, fast growing and agile team working with a motivated team of engineers and product managers. Our culture is more like a startup – we will do what is necessary to help customers be successful, move fast, and have fun building meaningful products and services!
You will lead, mentor and grow a team of talented, diverse software engineers who are versed in delivering exceptional end user experiences, and world class services to end users, ITPros, partners, and operations teams. You will work across organizations, collaborating with internal partner teams such as M365 team, Core Operating Systems team, Microsoft Identity team, and others. You will provide strong leadership, raise the technical bar, maintain a data and results driven culture, nurture a team culture of high collaboration and trust, and drive Microsoft 365 Manages Services adoption.
Who you are:
Strong, highly self motivated leader with a passion to empower and grow engineering discipline as well as help drive vision, strategy and execution of impactful and delightful experiences for our customers. Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and a shifting landscape. Have experience with Azure or other cloud services at scale, passionate about iterating fast in a startup environments, and getting the right design for our customers. With entrepreneurial spirit and a can-do attitude. You will be a key member of the engineering team, drive critical design initiatives, participate in strategic & tactical decisions, be accountable for shipping a complete service offering that succeeds with our customers. You have people management experience and strong product design & development skills.
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer or engineering manager building commercial software and a proven track record of having shipped successful software products & services
- 3+ years of experience driving and managing technical and architectural dependencies
- 3+ years of experience in cloud development principles and patterns, particularly loosely coupled architectures and micro-services, dev-ops model
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering
- Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team consisting of Software Engineers, Program Managers, Security researchers, and Data Scientists
- Demonstrated leadership competencies such as creating clarity in an ambiguous environment, generating energy and delivering success
- Ability to drive culture change in an organization
- Familiar with Secure Software Development Lifecycle
- Experience with software development tools such as source control systems (GIT), automated build systems, compilers, software validation systems, project tracking, and lifecycle management systems
- Development experience with cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure, AWS.
- Practical experience building analytic applications and applied AI is a definite plus
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.