Senior Software Engineer
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
*Location: Redmond, WA OR Cambridge, MA. Open to up to 50% work from home if located in the Greater Seattle or Boston Area.
Do you want to help transform healthcare? Microsoft Health Futures (part of Technology & Research Division) is bringing together innovative technologies, world-class talent, and strategic partnerships to improve healthcare and health equity around the world. We focus on technologies we believe will shape the industry in the next 3-10 years. Join us and help develop the services, products, and experiences that will make it all possible. There has never been a more exciting time to be working in health and life sciences at Microsoft.
Terra (terra.bio) is a scalable, secure, and open-source platform for biomedical research, designed to help researchers and data scientists focus on their science as they access data, run analysis tools, and collaborate. Microsoft is collaborating with Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT and Verily Life Sciences to expand on Terra’s open, modular, and interoperable research platform, with the addition of the Microsoft Azure cloud, data and AI technologies, global capabilities and health & life science customers and partners.
We’re looking for an innovative, collaborative, and highly motivated software engineer to join our team and work side-by-side with other developers, data scientists, and researchers to deliver tools, services, and experiences to support biomedical research, development of precision medicines, and clinical decision making.
- Help design, build, and maintain first-party services, OSS tools, and other applications that focus on security, privacy, availability, scalability, and robustness
- Work with other software engineers and researchers to design & implement flexible bioinformatics tools and multi-omics pipelines
- Define and drive software requirements from ambiguous, high-level project objectives
- Rapidly build prototypes and proof-of-concept applications and services
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or a related field strongly preferred
- 5+ years of software development experience with C#, Java, C++, or other object-oriented programming languages
- 3+ years developing cloud-based applications
- Development experience with multiple cloud platforms (Azure, GCP, and/or AWS)
- Solid understanding of service infrastructure, frameworks, and technologies such as Azure Cloud Services, ASP.NET Core, .Net Framework, and OSS
- Proven ability to work through the full DevOps lifecycle, from initial design to final product release and live-site support
- Passionate about learning and applying new, relevant technologies
- Experience working with health and/or life sciences data and technologies is a plus
#healthcare, #healthfutures, #genomics, #research
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.