Data Assurance Technical Program Manager
Location: Bellevue, Washington, Glendale, California, Irvine, California, Issaquah, Washington, Kent, Washington, Los Angeles, California, Los Angeles, California, Lynnwood, Washington, Mountain View, California, Orange County, California, Palo Alto, California, Redmond, Washington, Sacramento, California, San Diego, California, San Francisco, California, San Jose, California, Santa Clara, California, Seattle, Washington, Sunnyvale, California, Tacoma, Washington, Tukwila, Washington, Wenatchee, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Do you see yourself as Subject Matter Expert for enabling privacy of software/platforms for the commercial business? Do you care about collaborating, networking, integrating, and evangelizing the future state of data privacy? We’re looking for a data assurance program manager to evolve the data assurance program and support data protection initiatives for the commercial business division
The MCAPS (Microsoft Customer & Partner Solutions) organization unifies the commercial go to market organization to accelerate our progress, stay true to the Microsoft mission, and empower our customers, partners, people, and Microsoft’s growth. Within MCAPS, TrIP (Trust Integrity & Protection) defines processes for customers’ data protection including privacy, security, governance, risk, and compliance solutions, and provides guidance and oversight across the MCAPS division. In TriP, the ADAPT (Accessibility, Data assurance, Privacy & Customer Trust) Team is responsible for data protection initiatives and customer trust strategy for the division.
The successful candidate will act as an integral member of the ADAPT team to lead the data assurance program. The candidate will provide thought leadership and subject matter expertise related to data assurance to support the privacy program and the MCAPS division. Key to this role is to establish a solid data assurance program, leverage a risk-based mindset to highlight risks and impacts, foster effective and positive relationships across partner organizations, and through a programmatic approach define the controls/standards/remediations to provide assurance to data protection and data handling commitments.
Also critical are proficient program management skills, the ability to influence without authority, to work in a rapidly changing ecosystem, and be able to represent your work to partners and leadership.
Our team values collaboration, and proactive sharing of learnings to help make our whole team better. You are expected to model Microsoft values through behaviors and actions, set an example and represent the One Microsoft culture.
- Governance and program management: establish standards, and governance for high-risk data categories in the division (customer data, personal data, business data) including data handling rules. Maintain data classification & handling documentation with a forward-looking perspective, enhance the data assurance program, and assist with escalations/inquiries from various stakeholders including engineering/architecture, Risk Management/Compliance, and Leadership.
- Stakeholder alignment with data handling standards: provide guidance and negotiate to ensure alignment where data crosses boundaries and establish clarity in roles & accountability. Be the subject matter expert in handling inquiries from the division including application owners, field members, etc. Partner with CELA, Engineering and TrIP Privacy as needed on key initiatives and regulatory updates
- Data estate operational improvements – continue to build out the data estate for the division to create a comprehensive understanding of the data inventory, reducing data risk by minimizing data flow to unauthorized systems and improving compliance with regulatory requirements
- Plan, organize and lead cross-organizational teamson risk remediation projects as needed to mitigate data protection risks specifically for high-risk data categories for the division
- Support and execute data assurance processes. Conduct data profiling, produce data quality reports and scorecards. Design and run data tests aimed at improving data quality and integrity, support data lineage efforts and enabling of data quality remediation.
- Compliance -Assess data protection risks and develop or enhance controls as needed. Ensure controls are operationalizable and drive awareness with peer teams in the organization
- Build and nurture positive working relationships with stakeholders and leadership, and be engaged as a trusted advisor
Bachelor's Degree AND 4+ years experience in engineering, product/technical program management, data analysis, or product development
- OR equivalent experience.
- 2+ years experience managing cross-functional and/or cross-team projects
- 4+ years experience across technology companies and/or cross team projects
- 2+ years experience managing data projects leveraging data frameworks such as DAMA
- 6+ years of combined Software/Technology program management, Risk Management, Privacy, Data governance experience.
- Demonstrated ability to review data issues in applications and platforms and identify compliant mitigation strategies
- Understanding of contemporary cloud computing models (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) with emphasis on Microsoft technologies
- Ability to work and create structure in complex and ambiguous situations and respond flexibly in time sensitive situations
- Ability to develop quality measures/metrics/KPIs
- Solid data focused project management and reporting experience
- Ability to anticipate issues and proactively plan mitigation strategies
- Attention to detail and willingness to dive into technical details
- Aspire to grow as a person, as a teammate and help others grow.
- Help to create a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can bring their full and authentic self, where all voices are heard, and where we do our best work as a result
- Strong written/oral communication skills required along with desire and ability to communicate with business leaders through all levels of the organization
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.