Software Engineering Lead
Location: Redmond, Washington, Sunnyvale, California
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is a company where passionate innovators come to collaborate, envision what can be and take their careers to levels they cannot achieve anywhere else. This is a world of more possibilities, more innovation, more openness, and the sky is the limit thinking a cloud-enabled world.
Microsoft’s Intelligence Platform engineering team is leading the transformation of analytics in the world of data with products like Power BI, Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Explorer. We will bring the world’s data to the Microsoft Cloud, power a new class of data first applications, and empower everyone on the planet to make better decisions with data.
We do not just value differences or different perspectives. We seek them out and invite them in so we can tap into the collective power of everyone in the company. As a result, our ideas are better, our products are better, and our customers are better served.
The Spark team in Azure Big data is looking to improve performance beyond what we have already demonstrated – 2x over OSS Spark 3.1. You will have to help rebuild the way analytics engines process data. We build services that enable big data developers to build mission critical applications with high levels of SLA through auto detection and healing. We enable advanced data Insights and recommendations externally to our customers. As a manager in our team, you will have an opportunity to work on and extend OSS technologies like Spark and Hadoop as well as proprietary Microsoft services. You will help design & implement software components, participate in code reviews, design reviews, assist customers as needed to be able to leverage the service and keep the service running. You will support a team of talented engineers aiming to solve performance issues by looking at an entire workload and learning from its execution history. Your goal is to make onboarding new workloads on to Azure Synapse a breeze and to help keep them continuously tuned with changes in the Spark engine and user workload.
This will require exploring the frontiers of what is possible.
Are you interested in solving challenges that you didn’t know existed and want to solve at Azure scale? Come join us on the Azure Big data team!
- Lead a team of passionate engineers to deliver success for customers
- Design, implement, test, and operate data services.
- Release features on time, with high quality, meeting functional, performance, scalability, and compliance requirements.
- Drive quality right from the design phase, incorporating best practices and engineering for testability.
- Solve problems relating to mission critical services and create solutions to prevent problem recurrence.
- Participate in product live site and operations.
- Mentor and grow our engineers to better deliver on the goals above
- 10+ years of software engineering industry experience.
- 5+ years of programming experience in Java OR C++ OR C# OR C OR object-oriented programming
- 2+ years of experience leading organizations and managing teams to successfully deliver innovation in database systems
- Solve problems by always leading with deep passion and empathy for customers
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/ Engineering/ Mathematics/ Physics/ IT related technical discipline
- Experience with database internals
- Experience with Machine Learning pipelines
- Experience with OSS components like the Spark eco system
- Experience with building scalable cloud services.
- Get excited by the challenge of hard technical problems
- Great curiosity and willingness to question
- High enthusiasm, integrity, results-orientation, and resourcefulness in a fast-paced competitive environment.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.