Cloud Network Engineer
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Job Type: Full time
The Azure Networking Team is growing and we’re looking for a creative and hard-working engineer who can combine networking experience with software development fundamentals to help build the world’s best private backbone network. We’re passionate about automating every facet of the network to converge on a self-growing, self-healing network. We want engineers that are equally passionate and can look at the problems with a customer's perspective to create user experiences that truly enable and empower Technicians, Engineers and Planners.
Focusing on the global backbone network, and working closely with partner teams in Azure Networking, you’ll be a critical part designing, developing, and deploying networking and automation aspects for the Wide Area Network. This will include owning components from design through to development and operations. This is a high visibility position in an area of large and expanding investment for Microsoft Azure and offers a terrific opportunity for technical and career growth.
Network Design and Implementation
- Develops knowledge of network technologies to draw insights that aid in network design, implementation, and operation.
- Assists in the design of reliable, scalable, and high-performance network features or components with guidance from other engineers.
- Assists in gathering and processing information required to complete Bills of Materials (BoMs) and helps translate components of high-level designs for datacenters or network sites into low-level designs; collaborates with internal teams and external stakeholders to develop network infrastructure within existing datacenters or network sites with guidance from other engineers.
- Develops an understanding of quality assurance and network or code review processes by assisting in identifying risks and classes of bugs and becoming familiar with essential details related to network implementation (e.g., physical connectivity, power, protocols, telemetry) and design qualification with guidance from other engineers.
Maintain and Operate Networks
- Monitors network telemetry and performs basic analyses to triangulate failures, with guidance from other engineers; makes suggestions on possible improvements to monitoring based on observations.
- Triages, troubleshoots, and repairs basic live site issues using troubleshooting guides and standard tooling with minimal disruption to customers; occasionally participates in on-call/Designated Responsible Individual (DRI) duties.
- Assists with the design of process or technology solutions that resolve issues with processes, physical network devices, and/or tooling, and identifies deficiencies in existing systems and designs with guidance from other engineers; ensures solutions deliver high-quality improvements against Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Contributes to testing and validation of network devices, firmware, and configurations; defines and implements test cases with existing automation tools.
- Demonstrates knowledge of data with guidance from other engineers and can describe a limited range of defects and their relevance to product and service targets.
- Provides instructions to datacenter or network site staff/technicians on how to repair, replace, and maintain physical network hardware and components deployed in production.
- Contributes to the development or modification of network automation tools with guidance from other engineers to make efficient use of infrastructure and resources by automating performance of various tasks related to network operations, testing, and incident management.
- Supports the management of incidents across one or more workstreams by applying technical knowledge to diagnose and triage issues with guidance from other engineers; takes notes during incidents and participates in post mortem and root cause analysis processes.
- Works within a team of engineers to manage network deployments; works with a machine-readable definition of the network deployment.
- Assists in analyzing capacity issues across simple transfer protocols and identifies network components that may need to be modified or replaced with guidance from other engineers; provides recommended changes to hardware and/or network components to internal teams working with external partners and suppliers to improve capacity.
Supporting People and Execution
- Shares information across disciplines within their feature team in a timely manner with an appropriate level of detail, and manages dependencies for their work with others.
- Proactively seeks mentorship, feedback, and coaching from others; provides feedback to others and shares ideas for improving team-oriented behaviors.
- 2+ years of network engineering experience in an online service, internet service provider or large enterprise environment.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering (or a related field), or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required.
- 2+ years of professional software development experience in the networking domain, including Python, YAML, C#, REST, Go, and workflow systems.
- Experience with routing protocols such as: ISIS, OSPF, BGP, and MPLS technologies
- Self-starter with proven ability to develop creative solutions that enable Customers.
- Interest and ability to research new and emerging technologies to better solve networking problems.
- Proven track record of fixing problems permanently.
- Experience with traffic engineering solutions such as RSVP-TE, Segment Routing
- CCNP/ JNCIP Certification
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.