Sales Quota Program Manager, Quota Delivery
Location: Bellevue, Washington, United States
Job Type: Full time
The Worldwide Incentive Compensation (WWIC) team mission is to Enable Strategy, Motivate Sellers, Reward Results. In pursuit of this mission the team designs and implements variable incentive-based compensation plans for sellers, sales leaders and consultants across Microsoft. We are experts in Incentive Compensation at Microsoft responsible for aligning incentive plans and targets (quotas) to motivate seller behavior and drive the company's strategies. We are also end to end owners of incentive compensation processes and data which includes quota setting management, delivering timely and accurate payouts, providing business insights based upon performance of sellers to field/segment leaders and executives, business partnering with the field/segments on Incentive Compensation topics, driving continuous process improvement through review and analysis of incentive compensation performance.
The Quota Program Manager is an individual contributor in the Quota Delivery Team. Almost 30,000 sellers in Microsoft have a sales quota that is strategically aligned with their role and their geography. There are multiple inputs that feed into a seller’s quota. This role is responsible for designing and optimizing the processes that enable speed, quality and strategic alignment.
This role is responsible for ensuring all sellers receive the right quota and start the fiscal year strong. In addition, this role is responsible for driving enhancements that improve field/stakeholder experience. This includes building and maintaining the business rules for in-year governance.
Innovation and Continuous Improvement
- Lead continuous improvement and innovation in Quota Delivery automation, quality score, in-year governance, ad-hoc and standardized reporting, ensuring agility in delivering results while consistently maintaining and improving quality.
- Develops creative and innovative solutions to reduce cycle times, drive efficiency, and improve outcomes. Increases industry-wide perspective to inform future quota setting process. Continuously solicits feedback and identifies themes and trends regarding experiences and potential improvements. Contributes to continuous process improvements and in-flight changes through the review and analysis of incentive compensation performance for specific plans.
- Drive quality and scale across all quota management processes and tools (including future year business rule, in-year governance, standardized workflows, tool mechanics and functionality), ensuring agility in delivering results in alignment with business strategy.
- Holds accountability for running and managing ongoing programs within their stakeholder group(s), and owns outcomes related to delivering quotas and in-year maintenance. Brings work together and keeps others on track to ensure tasks are audited and completed for timely submission. Manages rhythm of the business (ROB) for landed features. Considers how to leverage existing materials and work with others to orchestrate program requirements and outcomes.
- Quota Segment Ownership:
- Understand and Articulate Strategy – for the business segment who which you manage the quota setting process.
- Influence and align the quota setting methodology to business strategy.
- Land Quota Setting process with stakeholders so that they understand the why, how, and when
- Be the subject matter expert in quota management for their stakeholder group(s). Leads and owns the requirements for tools enabling quota management processes. Works with internal and external stakeholders to define the quota setting process in order to achieve the strategic intent. Improves field and user experience by working with cross-disciplinary partners (e.g., Business and Sales Operations, Digital Sales, Quota champions in Consumer Segments). Ensures stakeholders understand and respect the quota management process and experience across tools. Drives quality and scale across all quota management processes and tools. Analyzes and drives quota setting improvement opportunities using existing data.
- Builds trusted advisor partnerships, representing their team to segment v-teams. Collaborates and partners with cross-functional corporate (e.g., finance, business/engineering groups, HR, sales segments) and regional team members to land core initiatives. Acts as the voice of their stakeholders and partners across the organization to design, implement, and oversee plans/programs that are field/seller centric. Begins to advocate for stakeholders and provide additional value. Identifies and addresses broader business needs from a compensation perspective.
- Understands sales strategies for their stakeholder group(s). Works closely with team members to develop and execute a marketing and content strategy for specific compensation landing plans and quotas. Advocates for sellers and customers when executing incentive compensation strategies. Leverages strategic understanding to reinforce and align compensation plans, quotas, and sales models that motivate seller behavior. Ensures alignment between sales compensation plans and the team’s compensation and business strategies. Increases awareness of products, sales plays, and compete scenarios.
- Acts as a trusted advisor for their field representatives. Works with leaders to mitigate plan or quota challenges (e.g., soliciting feedback, noting pros/cons, proposing solutions for deviations). Derives insights from feedback to share with the leadership team as the voice of the field.
- Collaborates with team members to build cohesive, data-driven stories to describe quota setting related problems, simplifying the complex and connecting dots across available data. Using thought leadership and data to systematically consider end to end implications of problems and develop potential solutions.
- Strategic Insights: Own providing critical insights to leadership on how strategy is landing through the Quota process and ensuring those insights are feeding into next year’s process. As the owner of this critical process for the business, the person in this role needs to leverage data to provide consistent and actionable feedback/insights on the status and landing of our quota strategy with our sellers.
Governance and Compliance
- Interprets business needs, compliance requirements, governance policies, and settled law for Quota Delivery process. Ensures that the principles and policies for Quota Governance and Audit are enabling the strategic priorities for the company while still being compliant and efficient in our execution.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Economics, or related field AND 5+ years experience in compensation, business management and operations, finance and analytics, human resources and people analytics, marketing, or sales strategy
- OR equivalent experience.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Master of Business Administration Degree or Master's Degree in Finance, Computer Science, Data Science Engineering, or related field
- 3+ years experience working in a matrixed organization, preferably in the technology industry.
- 1+ year(s) project leadership/management experience.
- 3+ years experience modeling data or statistical forecasting using software packages (e.g., ADX/Azure Stack, SQL, R, Python, Excel).
- Modeling: Excel modeling skills required, preferred to have functional knowledge of SQL and Power BI
- Strong analytical skill and the ability to look left to right across the needs of the business
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to successfully drive cross-functional stakeholder consensus and action planning
- Experience or certification in Lean or Six Sigma
- Analytical Problem Solving - Using thought leadership and data to systematically consider end to end implications of problems and develop potential solutions.
- Confidence - Acts confidently in uncertain circumstances, works effectively in ambiguous situations, ability to engage stakeholders and senior executive level in compensation principles and discussions.
- Leadership - Ability to manage your own portfolio or Segment group, including full autonomy for engagement and driving desired results.
- Trusted Advisor - Probes the expressed and unexpressed needs of clients and peers to understand underlying issues and develop proactive and coherent plans to resolve these in a timely manner.
- Multi-Task: Ability to prioritize and function well in a dynamic and ambiguous environment. Must be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously with delivery deadlines.
- Communicate - Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of levels (oral, written and in person).
- Influence: Ability to influence without authority.
- Executive Presence – interpersonal skills, including presentations across all levels of a matrix organization.
- Detail Oriented - Outstanding attention to detail with maturity in managing a global segment across many stakeholder groups
The salary range for this role based in Colorado is from $119,200 to $178,800. At Microsoft certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work. US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.