Associate Underwriter (Hybrid)
National Interstate Insurance Company
Location: Richfield, Ohio
Job Type: Full time
National Interstate is a member of Great American Insurance Group. As one of the leading commercial transportation insurers in the nation, we offer risk financing solutions in all 50 states tailored to meet the needs of a wide variety of transportation classes. Our offerings include traditional insurance and innovative alternative risk transfer (ART) programs, including more than a dozen group captive programs catering to niche wheels markets. We are proud to be a multiple Northcoast 99 winner and Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in Northeast Ohio. It is because of our talented and dedicated team that we are able to live out our company values of integrity, transparency, fairness, accountability, empowerment and collaboration with each transaction we make. If you are ready to join an engaging and driven team such as ours, we would love to hear from you!
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Applies rules and guidelines, insurance laws, and regulations. Reviews, documents, and/or underwrites new and renewal policy transactions within written authority.
- May enter policy information on an assigned product, territory and / or agency in accordance with template rules.
- Proofs / audits policy information on an assigned product, territory and/or agency(ies).
- Reviews premium and loss data on an individual account as part of renewal underwriting, change underwriting, or mid-term underwriting.
- Reviews insurance applications and other risk documentation. Reviews underwriting requirements and refers applications, endorsement requests, or other correspondence for further underwriting analysis when outside of written authority.
- Gathers information on new and renewal business and change requests to support underwriter decision making.
- Investigates discrepancies in the information gathered.
- Orders, reviews, and takes appropriate action on required reports, endorsement requests, service requests, and general correspondence.
- Analyzes individual risk pricing for new business submissions and renewals within written authority.
- Monitors entry / processing to ensure data integrity and to avoid potential systemic issues.
- Communicates with agents, brokers and customers to obtain information needed to underwrite risks and address issues. Researches and responds to questions from agents.
- May provide support to underwriter(s).
- Organizes the underwriting information to speed decision making on the part of the underwriter.
- May include "template" policy review and actions such as endorsement within assigned authority level.
- Provides information to Rating and to Processing that is needed to issue policies and endorsements on a timely basis. May issue, process or code transactions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Associate Degree or equivalent experience.
Field of Study: Business, Liberal Arts or a related discipline.
Experience: 0 to 3 years of related experience.
Company:NIC National Interstate Corporation
We offer competitive healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits.