Commercial Insurance Broker (MD hybrid or remote E.S.T.)
Location: Washington, District of Columbia
Job Type: Full time
Who We Are
NFP is a six-time Best Places to Work award winner in Business Insurance who has also earned the 5-Star Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) award from Insurance Business magazine and the WORK180 employer endorsement. We’re a recognized Elite Agency award winner and a leading property and casualty broker, benefits consultant, wealth manager, and retirement plan advisor. NFP provides solutions enabling client success through the expertise of over 7,000 global employees, investments in innovative technologies, and enduring relationships with highly rated insurers, vendors and financial institutions. To learn more, please visit: https://www.NFP.com.
This position will support our Maryland team. We offer a hybrid work schedule from any of our local offices in Maryland. We are also open to well-experienced remote hires in or outside of Maryland.
The Role at NFP
Summary: Responsible for broking new and renewal business, handling all aspects of the placements from initial market selection through policy delivery to client. Ensure all clients’ needs are promptly and accurately satisfied, all deadlines are met, and service standards are achieved.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively coordinate broking around the renewal cycle in accordance to NFP’s service model standards and timelines
- Define success and direct broking activity to achieve the optimal outcome for the client/prospect; ensure a go-to-market strategy is in place for each broking engagement
- Effectively negotiate with insurance carriers demonstrating an unmistakable command of the risk; drive financial and non-financial outcomes that support organic revenue development and retention, and seize upon opportunities to creatively upsell and cross-sell, leading to greater client product density and expanded account margin
- Collaborate with account management team and client to ensure complete, timely and highly differentiated submissions are presented to markets, respond to carrier queries, compile carrier quote proposals and critically and comparatively analyze each, and present prospects or clients with a clear summary of the marketing process, and a proposal with recommendations
- Support team members with proposal preparation for existing and prospective clients
- Respond to client queries and concerns to resolve issues promptly
- Review binders and policies to ensure terms and conditions are accurately reflected
- Attend client meetings as a part of the team to strengthen and hone client communication and presentation skills
- Assist in the development of sales documents, presentations, stewardship reports, and RFP responses for prospective new clients
- Present proposals to producers and account management teams and participate in client meetings
- Prepare coverage comparisons, diagnostics, consolidated coverage/policy analyses, letters and reports under the direction of the Senior Broker or Broking Team Leader
- Develop productive business relationships with key insurance underwriters and local NFP account management teams
- Cultivate a thorough understanding of markets to better assist the broking team
- Build strong, abiding, trustful and resilient relationships with carrier and wholesale partners
- Maintain accurate client and policy information in NFP’s Epic agency management system
- Drive the deployment of data and analytics to provide meaningful program insights for clients and the broking team
- Ensure client, broking, and brokerage data files are maintained in a complete, organized and timely fashion
- Execute on NFP’s broking strategies, including strategic carriers, panels, and preferred wholesaler utilization
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of the insurance marketplace and available products and services
- Engage account team and markets to coordinate cross-sell and up-sell initiatives; effectively closes coverage gaps or deficiencies, supports the account team in maximizing client product density, enhancing account profitability and margin
- Engage and introduce SMEs to clients/prospects to convey the depth of talent and resources and provide additional technical support and competency in areas requiring unique specialization and skill sets
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to successfully interact with a variety of people
- Excellent negotiation skills – ability to adjust the approach to effectively drive optimal outcomes depending on different personalities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail with strong analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to adjust to changing workload and priorities
- Able to coordinate resources and responsibilities
- Self-motivated and determined with a positive attitude and a sense of urgency
- Proven technical competency and creativity demonstrating excellence in developing and delivering innovative property and casualty solutions
- Confident, poised and interactive - when client-facing communicates effectively, demonstrates emotional intelligence, and understands how to tailor responses in a variety of dynamic situations
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Epic (agency management system) a plus
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
- Minimum of three to five years of insurance experience
Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
- P&C License required
- Advanced industry designation(s) (e.g. CPCU, CIC, ARM) a plus
What We Offer
NFP is proud to offer a competitive salary, PTO & paid holidays, 401(k) with match, exclusive discount programs, health & wellness programs, and more. Our PeopleFirst culture focuses on building and nurturing lifelong relationships with our employees because, at the end of the day, we exist to be there for others.
The base salary range for this position is targeted at $120,000 to $140,000. The base salary offered will be determined by factors including, but not limited to, experience, credentials, education, certifications, the skill level required for the position, the scope of the position and geographic location. The actual base salary offered will be determined on a case-by-case basis. In addition to the base salary, this position may be eligible for performance-based incentives.
NFP and You... Better. Together.
NFP is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer.