Client Service, Billing Associate - New Grads eligible (NYC hybrid)
Location: Albany, New York
Job Type: Full time
Who We Are:
Covala Group (part of NFP Corp) is a proven enroller and administrator of voluntary, supplemental and individual disability benefits for large employers. Since 1993 we have connected employees of our clients to over $4.5 billion of income protection. We have also assisted Fortune 500 companies in the development and implementation of group life insurance, corporate-owned life insurance, and long-term care programs. Our name, Covala, was inspired by the covalent bond, the strongest type of chemical bond there is. Covala embodies our dedication to forming powerful bonds with our clients and plan participants — connecting them to the benefits they need and the service they deserve.
We’re part of NFP, a six-time Best Places to Work award winner in Business Insurance who has also earned the 5-Star Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) award from Insurance Business magazine and the WORK180 employer endorsement. NFP is a recognized Elite Agency award winner and a leading property and casualty broker, benefits consultant, wealth manager, and retirement plan advisor. NFP provides solutions enabling client success through the expertise of over 7,000 global employees, investments in innovative technologies, and enduring relationships with highly rated insurers, vendors and financial institutions.
The Role at NFP (for Covala Group):
The Billing Associate provides high-level customer service to the firm’s corporate clients through customized financial analysis, billing and premium payment reconciliation. Covala provides insurance premium calculation, billing, and premium reconciliation support to over 50 corporate clients for their executive disability insurance benefits. Corporate clients include companies such as JPMorgan Chase, AbbVie, News Corp and American Express. The Associate will be an integral member of this five-person core team while collaborating with a larger team. You will provide billing support to these large corporate customers.
Our organization believes in continuous process improvement. The individual in this position will also participate in the company’s projects that involve working with cross-functional teams. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated, energetic individual to contribute directly to a growing business and gain valuable experience.
The position will require more frequent in-office work, from our NYC Wall Street office during training and onboarding, at least 2-3 days a week. A more flexible hybrid schedule after the training period.
- Analyze census data from our corporate clients, our internal database and our insurance carrier partners to determine how a policy should be billed on a regular basis.
- Ensure all payroll files, invoices and carrier backups are sent out according to corporate client and carrier requirements and deadlines.
- Conduct monthly audits and reports to determine any discrepancies regarding the payment of individual policies.
- Coordinate closely with corporate clients and insurance carriers to ensure premium payments are received and discrepancies are handled in a timely fashion.
- Develop a deep understanding of our billing processes as well as how the enrollment process affects the billing for a policy and vice versa.
- Coordinate with the Database Management team during client enrollment periods to ensure billing for newly enrolled executives of our corporate clients occurs smoothly.
- Handle billing and payment inquiries from eligible or enrolled executives about the disability insurance being offered through our enrollments.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel with VLookup, pivot tables, formula calculations, etc
- 2+ years of high-level customer service/client servicing is ideal
- New college graduates eligible with relevant coursework and internships
- A detail-oriented and analytical approach to work
- Ability to work in a high-activity environment
- Self-organized and self-accountable qualities
- Strong ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage time
- A team-oriented and collaborative attitude
- Strong customer service skills
- A “can-do” attitude and exude confidence in communications
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Bachelors Degree preferred, in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance is a plus
- Experience or training in data management, billing/account services and customer solutions preferred
What We Offer:
We're proud to offer a competitive salary, PTO & paid holidays, 401(k) with match, exclusive discount programs, health & wellness programs, and more. Our PeopleFirst culture focuses on building and nurturing lifelong relationships with our employees because, at the end of the day, we exist to be there for others. The base salary range for this position is $58,000 – $70,000. The base salary offered will be determined by factors including, but not limited to, experience, credentials, education, certifications, skill level required for the position, the scope of the position, and geographic location. Actual base salary offered will be determined on a case-by-case basis. In addition to the base salary, this position may be eligible for performance-based incentives.
NFP and You... Better together!
NFP and Covala Group is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer.