Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Type: Full time
Who We Are:
We’re a seven-time Best Places to Work award winner in Business Insurance who has earned the 5-Star Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) award from Insurance Business magazine. We are also recognized as an Elite Agency award winner and named as a Top Employee Benefits Firm. We are a leading Insurance Broker and Consultant that provides Employee Benefits, Property & Casualty, and Retirement and Individual Private Client solutions to help our clients reach and realize their goals because we believe business is personal. Our personal commitment to our team and our clients has created long-lasting and successful relationships across our growing 300+ nationwide offices and 17 international locations. To learn more, please visit: https://www.NFP.com.
We are looking for a Staff Accountant, Sr. Accountant or Tax Accountant who will be responsible for supporting our business management division by helping individuals and organizations file their taxes appropriately while following legal guidelines and obtaining the maximum possible tax return. The duties will include collecting tax forms and tracking client paperwork, identifying potential tax credits and producing tax reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare tax provisions schedules, returns, payments, reports and maintain a company’s tax database
- Find tax solutions to complicated tax issues or errors from incorrect tax filings
- Identify legal tax savings and recommend ways to improve profits
- Make sure that clients comply with federal, state and local tax regulations
- Advise management about the impact of tax liabilities and corporate strategies or new tax laws
- Coordinate workflow with managers and other tax staff
- Accurately prepare quarterly and annual tax reports
- Prepare and or analyze financial statements
- Keep up-to-date with tax changes and industry trends by participating in educational opportunities, participating in professional organizations, keeping up with professional networks and reading professional publications
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- General Tax preparation ability (software input, basic returns & projections)
- Basic tax knowledge (fundamental tax concepts: AGI, Itemized Deductions, Taxable Income, etc.)
- Ability to understand the differences between and purposes of types of entities
- Begins to identify issues beyond basic tax knowledge that require assistance from a reviewer
- Ability to review compiled financial statements and propose meaningful adjustments
- Ability to work with the Client Service team on clients’ day-to-day needs (refinance applications, etc.)
- Begins to compile and prepare various cash management/investment reports with instruction
- Ability to manage the workflow of assigned tasks. Seeks clarification of priorities for tasks based on relative importance and urgency
- Makes effective use of time and encourages this with co-workers
- Ability to understand the scope and purpose of the work assigned. Seeks guidance when necessary to understand the broader goals of particular tasks
- Begins to get involved in various aspects of the firm’s work to gain knowledge in new areas
- Begins to appreciate the concepts of firm profitability and target hours for tasks
- Working toward passing the California CPA exam
- Experience working in a team environment
Education and/or Experience:
- 3-5 years of accounting firm or business management firm experience
- Strong tax and/or accounting knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree
- CPA a plus
What We Offer:
NFP is proud to offer a competitive salary, PTO & paid holidays, 401(k) with match, exclusive discount programs, health & wellness programs, and more. Our PeopleFirst culture focuses on building and nurturing lifelong relationships with our employees because, at the end of the day, we exist to be there for others. The base salary range for this position is $54,000 - $100,000. The base salary offered will be determined by factors including, but not limited to, experience, credentials, education, certifications, skill level required for the position, the scope of the position, and geographic location. Actual base salary offered will be determined on a case-by-case basis. In addition to the base salary, this position may be eligible for performance-based incentives.
NFP and You... Better Together!
NFP is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer.