Staff Technical Writer (Customer Identity)
Location: United States
Job Type: Full time
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box, we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
The Product Education Team
Okta’s Customer Identity Cloud (CIC), powered by Auth0 technology, is an easy-to-implement authentication and authorization platform designed by developers for developers. We make access to applications safe, secure, and seamless for over 100 million daily logins worldwide. Our modern approach to identity enables this Tier 0 global service to deliver convenience, privacy, and security so customers can focus on innovation. Our Team’s primary audience is software developers with a range of experience in identity concepts, and our secondary audience is Security Professionals.
The Staff Technical Writer Opportunity
Reporting to the Senior Manager, this role will focus on creating public-facing documentation for Okta's CIC customers. You'll be responsible for writing excellent documentation and editing work others have written, as well as mentoring team members on writing the best documentation developers have ever read. Our product documentation is a competitive differentiator, and great docs are critical to our success.
This opportunity requires someone with a solid technical writing background and experience with agile, full-stack software development. If you've written developer-focused software documentation in the past, you’re an experienced writer self-taught in software development, or you’re a full-time software developer with a passion for great documentation looking to make a career change, you’ll be a strong candidate for this role.
What you’ll be doing
- Write concise, easy-to-understand documentation that simplifies complex technical concepts into content consumable by all skill levels and roles
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Software Engineers, Developer Support Engineers and more to scope and define documentation projects
- Review content written by others and edit or provide input to the design, maintainability, and scalability of the content
- Mentor peers within the Documentation team on documentation best practices
- Contribute to or lead strategic quarterly documentation initiatives to enhance our process, our website, and our content
What you’ll bring to the role
- 5+ years technical writing experience, with a well-developed writing portfolio that demonstrates both strong writing and information architecture skills
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally with people in all ranks, teams, and disciplines across the company
- Proven understanding of modern software development concepts; the closer your experience level is to that of a full-time software developer, the better
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly, as well as understand why they’re important to our users
- Self-driven, with strong time management and prioritization skills
Below is the annual base salary range for candidates located in California, Colorado, New York and Washington. Your actual base salary will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location. In addition, Okta offers equity (where applicable), bonus, and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies. To learn more about our Total Rewards program please visit: https://rewards.okta.com/us.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.