Director, Sales Development Public Sector & Strategic Accounts
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Type: Full time
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box, we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
Director, Sales Development, Public Sector & Strategic Accounts
*This role prefers the employee to be based out of San Francisco, Washington DC, Chicago, or Bellevue*
We are seeking a transformational leader to lead our high-growth SDR team dedicated to our Public Sector and Strategic Accounts segments. You will be responsible for owning the management of overall inbound business development and extremely targeted outbound prospecting pipeline strategy and execution for our most strategic and public accounts across North America. You will lead & motivate a team of highly driven and successful SDR Leaders, implementing efficient processes & tools that optimize for scale in a fast-paced, innovative, collaborative environment. This role reports to the Vice President, Sales Development.
At Okta, our mission is to maintain a people-first, diverse, and inclusive culture. This is a high visibility role that is responsible for hiring, onboarding, and coaching SDRs on the team to be successful outbound pipegen reps with a focus on enabling continued growth of each team member in preparation for their progression here at Okta. You will need to be an expert in prospecting and account planning strategies with a high-growth company and must be able to educate others effectively in these areas. SDR Leaders play a critical role in working cross-functionally with various teams within our Go To Market function (Marketing, Operations, Sales, etc.) to further develop our one-to-one outreach strategies to help maximize pipeline creation and revenue in the world’s largest organizations.
If you thrive in a fast-paced environment and are eager to take ownership of a large revenue-generating piece of the business, we want to hear from you!
What you’ll be doing
- Lead front-line managers to establish rigor in their businesses, develop Sales Development talent, and deliver cross-functional improvements to Strategic and Public Sector sales growth
- Manage the execution of the overall extremely targeted strategy for obtaining more inbound and outbound prospecting pipelines
- Maintain a strong focus on outcomes and impact
- Develop your team’s skills for prospecting, qualifying, and Opportunity creation
- Provide regular coaching, feedback, and professional development while prioritizing and maintaining an inclusive, dynamic, highly engaged team environment
- Closely monitor metrics with the aim to increase productivity
- Partner closely with sales leadership and teams to ensure proper alignment on account coverage, target personas, opportunity quality and SDR to AE hand-off
- Plan, forecast, and understand ramp adjusted capacity to ensure the team is grown effectively, in tandem with the needs of the sales organization and the supply of inbound demand from marketing
- Articulate the business value of Okta, and maintain in-depth knowledge of the Okta platform, our competitors, and industry trends
What you’ll bring to the role
- 5+ years of experience leading and developing a Sales Development team at scale (with direct reports) - Strategic and Public Sector experience a plus
- 3+ years as a second line leader with managers as direct reports
- Proven success of delivering sales pipeline and managing outbound prospecting teams (startup/growth stage experience highly preferred)
- Preference for experience leading SDR teams at a high growth SaaS company
- Ability to attract, retain, and motivate SDRs and SDR managers to achieve desired results
- Ability to execute cross-functionally and drive for results in ambiguous, rapidly changing environments
- Able to proactively diagnose and address gaps in pipeline creation with tactical plans & campaigns cross-functionally with demand gen and field marketing teams
- Able to measure and diagnose strategic efficacy and recommend course correction/shifts to business plans
- Strong quantitative, analytical and communication skills
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, communication and planning skills
- Effective presentation and listening skills
And extra credit if you have experience in any of the following!
- Previous experience working in Public Sector with government entities as well as larger Tier 1 accounts preferred
- Experience in managing multiple segments and territories encouraged
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Below is the annual On Target Compensation (OTE) range for candidates located in California, Colorado, New York and Washington. Your actual OTE, which is inclusive of base salary and incentive compensation, will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location. In addition, Okta offers equity (where applicable) and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies. To learn more about our Total Rewards program please visit: https://rewards.okta.com/us.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.