Senior Systems Engineer
Location: United States
Job Type: Full time
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
The BT Engineering Services Team
Business Technology is on a mission to accelerate Okta’s scale and growth. We bring world-class business acumen and technology expertise to every interaction. We also drive cross-functional collaboration and are focused on delivering measurable business outcomes.
The Business Technology (BT) Engineering Services team is composed of smart and innovative engineers who welcome challenges and enjoy seeing our designs run at scale with automation, testing, and tuning. Above all, we are a team who touches every point of the business and are obsessed with user experience.
The Senior Systems Engineer Opportunity
Reporting to the Senior Manager, we are seeking a Windows expert with a passion for designing and running complex cloud-based, desktop, and server infrastructure and endpoints to join Okta’s Client Platform Engineering team.
In this role, you will be part of the Business Technology (BT) Engineering Services team, focused on Windows management and security. You will be responsible for ensuring the security, usability, and deployment of all Windows-based endpoints at Okta, including PCs used by employees and virtual machines hosted in AWS Workspaces. This will include building and automating processes and workflows to create VMs as Okta expands its usage of virtualized workstations for Federal compliance and more.
What you’ll be doing
- Manage Okta’s fleet of Windows PCs globally with VMware Workspace ONE and Microsoft Intune
- Create workflows, pipelines, and images for Windows-based virtual machines in a VDI ecosystem (AWS Workspaces)
- Ensure that Windows endpoints meet regulatory requirements (ex: FedRAMP, NIST, STIG, etc.)
- Deploy and update applications, configurations, settings, and scripts to all Windows endpoints, and keep devices up to date as new vulnerabilities are discovered
- Collaborate with other BT teams to automate provisioning, deprovisioning, integrations and support procedures for Windows endpoints
- Plan and prepare for future growth and scaling of the Windows program at Okta
- Advocate for Okta employees using Windows devices and provide them with the best user experience possible
What you’ll bring to the role
- 6+ years’ experience in systems engineering
- Expertise managing Windows and Windows-based applications
- Experience with MDM solutions (VMware Workspace ONE, Microsoft Intune or other Windows management platforms)
- Experience with Automation tools (Such as Packer, Jenkins, Chef, Chocolatey, PSADT)
- Experience with VDI technologies and tools (AWS, Azure, Citrix, VMware)
- Proficient in Powershell scripting and automation
- Experience with version control systems such as Git, CodeCommit, etc.
- Experience building and integrating (SAML OIDC,Attribute mapping) into Windows Management Systems
- Knowledge of AWS (Workspaces, Systems Manager, Directory Services)
- Understanding of CIS Benchmarks and endpoint hardening best practices
- Knowledge of SAML authentication and federation workflows
- Good communication and writing skills, specifically technical documentation
- Experience in defining/generating reports and metrics
- Will be required to participate in on-call rotation
- US Person Status (e.g. a U.S. Citizen, National, Lawful Permanent Resident, Refugee, or Asylee)
And extra credit if you have experience in any of the following!
- Proficient in Powershell, Python, Go, or other scripting languages
- Experience integrating Windows or Windows management systems with the Okta platform
- Experience managing other endpoints; macOS, iOS, Android, Linux
- Relevant IT industry certifications (Okta, ITIL, GPCE, MCSA, MCITP, or MCTS) are a plus
- Experience with Federal requirements and FedRAMP compliance
Below is the annual base salary range for candidates located in California, Colorado, New York and Washington. Your actual base salary will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location. In addition, Okta offers equity (where applicable), bonus, and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies. To learn more about our Total Rewards program please visit: https://rewards.okta.com/us.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.