Director, Corporate Counsel, Public Sector
Location: United States
Job Type: Full time
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
Director and Corporate Counsel, Public Sector
Accelerate your career by joining Okta to lead our Public Sector Legal Team! As Director and Corporate Counsel, Public Sector you'll be in charge of Okta’s global public sector legal program.
What you’ll be doing
- Manage a world-class team of transactions and compliance attorneys supporting Okta’s US federal, state, local, and education as well as international government verticals.
- Negotiate and draft outbound cloud services master subscription agreements, professional services statements of work, reseller/partner terms, and other types of commercial agreements with a broad range of customers including U.S. public sector government agencies, government contractors, and systems integrators.
- Review Okta’s existing government ethics and compliance program, and implement new public sector-specific programs, policies, and procedures as needed to ensure a best in class compliance program for U.S. government contracting.
- Provide advice to Okta's Security Compliance team regarding FedRAMP, DoD Information Level, and agency specific authorization and security requirements.
- Serve as a thought leader and business partner to Okta’s public sector sales, product, and engineering leadership on all matters impacting Okta’s public sector business.
- Collaborate with Okta's Partner Team and other members of the commercial legal team to build out Okta’s public sector partner program.
What you’ll bring to the role
- 10+ years of experience drafting and negotiating complex public sector transactions.
- 5+ years of in-house experience with a proven track record of efficiency, collaborating with sales leadership and internal stakeholders to close deals, and experience working within a fiscal-quarter cadence.
- Deep substantive knowledge of U.S. government procurement processes and contracting laws, rules, and regulations.
- Direct experience and knowledge of the SaaS business model, enterprise cloud computing, and related data privacy and security matters.
- Experience negotiating agreements for indirect sales via a partner/reseller.
- Familiarity with revenue recognition issues and experience working with revenue and sales operations teams.
- Experience handling a variety of ethics and compliance matters including advising on False Claims Act risk, procurement integrity, and other government contracts ethics issues.
- Sound and practical business judgment; strong problem solver.
- Self-motivated individual who is team-oriented and has a good sense of humor.
- Strong academic background and J.D. from highly-regarded school, bar admission.
- This position requires the ability to access federal environments and/or have access to protected federal data. As a condition of employment for this position, the successful candidate must be able to submit documentation establishing U.S. Person status (e.g. a U.S. Citizen, National, Lawful Permanent Resident, Refugee, or Asylee. 22 CFR 120.15) upon hire.
Below is the annual base salary range for candidates located in California, Colorado, New York and Washington. Your actual base salary will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location. In addition, Okta offers equity (where applicable), bonus, and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies. To learn more about our Total Rewards program please visit: https://rewards.okta.com/us.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.