Location: United States
Job Type: Full time
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box, we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated litigator to join Okta’s growing Legal team. The Director, Litigation will focus on global disputes and litigation, coordinating closely with the Ethics & Compliance, IP, and Employment teams. This person will be highly collaborative and entrepreneurial, embracing the opportunity to drive litigation strategy and scale a global litigation and dispute program, building internal relationships, and anticipating evolving risk in an expanding global company. This role will partner closely with a wide-range of teams, including Sales, Finance, Internal Audit, Human Resources, Employee Relations, and executive stakeholders across the company to manage and resolve dispute issues, implement internal processes, and advise stakeholders on risk management.
What you’ll be doing
As Director, Litigation, you will handle a broad range of risk management issues in a global environment. Specifically, you will:
- Develop, drive, and own all aspects of Okta’s litigation and dispute resolution strategy, including the implementation of processes and procedures.
- Manage global litigation and pre-litigation matters across a wide range of issues including customer disputes, commercial disputes, bankruptcy, securities class actions, third-party subpoenas, intellectual property, and various other legal and regulatory issues.
- Manage all facets of litigation including assessing and responding to subpoenas, demands, filings; reviewing and revising pleadings, motions, written discovery, and correspondence; assisting with document collection and review; and interviewing witnesses and preparing witnesses for testimony.
- Strategically manage outside counsel relationships, including staffing, litigation strategy, work product, day-to-day case activity, and budgets.
- Collaborate with various stakeholders to enhance Okta’s eDiscovery program, including developing and refining guidelines and processes and ongoing review and assessment of communication and collaboration tools.
- Work closely with internal business partners across Okta to proactively address and resolve potential disputes while supporting business objectives.
- Support the Ethics & Compliance team on a variety of internal investigations in collaboration with internal partners, including Internal Audit, Finance, Employee Relations, Human Relations, and Sales, as required.
- Support the Ethics & Compliance team on policy and program development, as required.
- Develop metrics and tracking processes to enable insightful reporting on litigation matters and dispute resolution issues.
- Grow, manage, and develop a team to support Okta’s strategic growth.
What you’ll bring to the role
- J. D. and good standing to practice law in the relevant jurisdiction.
- Minimum of 12 years of litigation experience at a leading law firm and/or in-house, handling all aspects of civil litigation, including pre-litigation analysis and strategy, pleadings, fact and expert discovery, third-party discovery, and dispositive motions.
- Deep knowledge of eDiscovery issues, including document retention policies and procedures, and collection, review, and production of documents.
- Extensive experience managing outside counsel, developing budgets, and reporting to leadership on forecasting and metrics.
- Ability to provide practical, actionable advice while balancing risks and business reward.
- Strong organizational skills, an ability to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-moving, quickly-changing environment, both collaborating as a team and working independently.
- Experience managing and developing teams.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal and ability to advocate for a position while maintaining an open-minded approach.
- Experience working with or in a fast-paced international technology company with a channel sales model.
- Combination of both in-house and law firm experience desired.
- Comfortable presenting to and engaging with senior leaders.
- Ability to travel as necessary.
- Sense of Humor!
Below is the annual base salary range for candidates located in California, Colorado, New York and Washington. Your actual base salary will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location. In addition, Okta offers equity (where applicable), bonus, and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies. To learn more about our Total Rewards program please visit: https://rewards.okta.com/us.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.