Director, Organizational Development
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the People Team
As a People team, our purpose is to drive the success of the business through the success of our people and organization. Our ambition is to be known as the most impactful, innovative and effective People Team in Tech. We seek inspiration in our employee value proposition: Imagine what we’ll build together. We push the boundaries of what People Team’s can achieve through bold ambition, innovation and creativity. We couple that innovation spirit with execution prowess and operational excellence in order to drive transformational change. And, we achieve audacious goals through deep, collaborative partnerships across our teams and with the business.
About the Role
You will be a key leader on the People Partnership & Development Team owning the development and execution of the Organizational Development function at Thumbtack over time. Partnering closely with the both People team and business leaders, you will have the opportunity to systematically build a high-performance culture that scales through effective leaders and engaged, inclusive teams. This role reports to the Head of People Partnership & Development and is virtual-first, in line with our Future of Work vision.
- Own the Organizational Development function at Thumbtack, which includes all programs and offerings related to Learning & Development, Performance Management, Engagement, and Talent Management
- Drive a high-performance culture by redesigning our performance management philosophy and strategy and implement a new performance program company-wide
- Drive the future of management at Thumbtack by redesigning our management philosophy, criteria, strategy, and training
- Build upon the foundation of our OD work to date; cyclical programs like onboarding and engagement tracking, job architecture and career ladders, and individual development opportunities
- Monitor and respond to employee sentiment and feedback, organizational trends, and business needs to ensure OD strategy and offerings address critical needs and reinforce business priorities
- Partner with business leaders, HR Business Partners, DEI, People Analytics, Recruiting, HR Ops, Compensation and Benefits to ensure programs are effectively designed and implemented and reinforce broader People Team goals
- Manage team resourcing and prioritization and hire future direct reports
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 12+ years of leadership experience in HR, including talent management, organizational development, performance management and/or learning and development
- 5+ years as a people manager and team builder
- Experience influencing senior leaders towards establishing a performance-based culture, aligning business objectives with performance enablers, and executing with a bias for action
- Operational rigor and program management skills
- Strong analytical skills and systems thinking
- High levels of ownership, initiative taking, scrappiness and desire to build something great
- Facilitation and training experience
- Experience working with remote / distributed teams
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and internet
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
- Cell Phone Reimbursement, Thumbtack services (North America only)
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.