Senior Software Engineer, Marketing Tech
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Team
The Marketing Tech team is responsible for building out the technology that powers the acquisition and engagement of millions of customers and pros. The team works to build new ways to improve our acquisition via SEM, social, and video ads, utilizing a variety of bidding algorithms and a massive amount of data to acquire our customers and prosmost effectively. The team also supports the Engagement Marketing team by building out tech around emails and push notes to most effectively engage our customers and pros.
The Marketing Tech team works at a huge scale to find the best ways to acquire and engage our users. We are developing new services to utilize our massive amount of data to determine how to best serve the needs of our customers. Our goal is to provide them with the right content at the right time as well as incentives like discounts. The team has a lot of marketing dollars at its disposal; therefore it is vital that we build a solid foundation and iterations to most effectively utilize this to acquire the right users in the right locations.
- Growth is the lifeblood of any startup, and in this role you will be leading the engineering team which is directly responsible for it.
- The team is highly interdisciplinary, encompassing engineers with a variety of skill sets including frontend engineering, native mobile, backend engineering and machine learning/optimization.
- You’ll not only partner with product, design and marketing leads to develop and execute on a growth strategy for Thumbtack, but also help build critical infrastructure and systems that power that growth and enable the team to move fast.
- Minimum of 5+ years of industry experience in engineering.
- Fluent in at least one major programming language and would be able to switch between multiple languages. In our stack, we mainly use Go, Scala, Php, with Swift, Kotlin and Java for our mobile apps.
- Solid experience building software on top of relational databases such as Postgres or MySQL.
- Write high quality, maintainable, testable code, and you enjoy doing it.
- Ability to break down complex problems rigorously and understand the tradeoffs necessary to deliver great, impactful products.
- Curious, data-driven, and think critically about problems.
- Prior experience at a growth-stage consumer tech company and/or a marketplace business, Growth Marketing domain
- Experience building and maintaining reliable, performant distributed systems
- AWS and/or GCP and its suite of technologies such as DynamoDB, Elastic Beanstalk, etc and you’re familiar with the big data ecosystem (Hadoop/HDFS, Hive, Spark, etc).
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and internet
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
- Cell Phone Reimbursement, Thumbtack services (North America only)
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.