Engineering Director, Productivity
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences to optimizing pricing systems to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership, and transparency. To learn more about the hard problems our team is facing, visit our engineering blog.
The Platform Engineering team is looking for a leader for the Developer Productivity and Experience team where you will get an opportunity to influence, transform, and create an amazing experience for developers at Thumbtack. You will identify, develop, and lead strategic investments to make development iterations faster and step-function improvements in developers' lives. This spans multiple areas, including but not limited to: Providing tools and infrastructure that create a delightful development experience across disciplines such as backend architecture, common platform services, frontend framework, design systems, and mobile development;
- Grow, develop, and mentor a senior team that provides engineering systems that enable all Thumbtack developers to build services for Thumbtack members productively, with consistently high quality, and with minimal friction.
- You will work across Engineering to build relationships with other teams, use their feedback, and understand their goals to build and prioritize a strategy and roadmap for your team and products that may span multiple teams.
- You will leverage your deep and broad technical expertise to mentor engineers and provide leadership in resolving complex technical issues.
- You will build operational excellence roadmaps, drive the adoption of best practices from design to delivery, and improve developer feature/code velocity.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 7+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 5+ years of Engineering-Management experience with a proven track record in managing (10+ member) high-performing senior engineering teams
- Background in managing teams/team members in remote locations, potentially in different time zones
- Experience coaching, mentoring, and managing fellow engineers in their careers
- Experience attracting, retaining, and developing top engineering and operations talent throughout the industry
- Experience in engineering productivity, developer experience, or related disciplines
- Experience in mobile and web application development
- Strong analytical skills; with a growth mindset, and dream big
- Experience in and passion for technical program management/project management
- Experience with DORA metrics or SPACE framework for developer productivity
- Familiarity with CI/CD, DevOps, DevSecOps, and Shift-Left concepts
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with an ability to communicate complex research in a clear, precise, business-oriented, and actionable manner
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and internet
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
- Cell Phone Reimbursement, Thumbtack services (North America only)
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact email@example.com.