Staff Software Engineer, Marketing Technology
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 9 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the MarTech Team
As Thumbtack continues to grow and scale, we have to ensure that we continue to invest in our Marketing Infrastructure, which touches millions of dollars of marketing spend and is directly responsible for driving our company’s top line revenue growth.
About the Role
In this role, you will be working on the core infrastructure to power Thumbtack Marketing. You will work on a wide breadth of technologies from data warehouse/BQ, offline data pipelines to online systems, microservices, Kafka and even some FE if you are up for it. Good experience on architecture and design for data pipelines and distributed systems is essential.
You will be part of an amazing team of 6 engineers and an extended team of over 20 people (from data scientists to analysts to XFN product and business stakeholders).
We have technical challenges ranging from ETL pipelines, high scale backend systems to machine learning optimization algorithms. We empower numerous high impact integrations requiring collaboration with many XFN partners, build state of the art intelligence based systems for optimizing marketing spend, and work on distributed systems architecture and end-to-end systems from data warehousing to backend and frontend. Our challenges are pretty open-ended and we move fast!
- Understand and improve integrations with various advertisers and third party vendors
- Lead architectural and design discussions on various platforms and distributed systems owned by the team
- Provide guidance and mentorship to other engineers on the team
What you’ll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 8+ years experience of distributed systems, big data and software development
- Hands-on experience with SQL, ETLs, Python, data pipelines, distributed systems
- End to end ownership of product areas
- Expertise in evaluating trade-offs to maximize impact
- Experience mentoring and coaching engineers
- Experience working in data engineering or a similar discipline at a two-sided marketplace or similar B2C technology company
Bonus points if you have
- Experience in Marketing domain is a plus (Google Ads, SEO, CDP, etc)
- Experience using and/or configuring Business Intelligence tools (Looker, Tableau, Mode, et al)
- Experience working with semi-structured or unstructured data in a data lake or similar
- Passion to learn and understand business economics
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here.
For candidates living in San Francisco / Bay Area, New York City, or Seattle metros, the expected salary range for the role is currently $245,000 - $290,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: email@example.com.