Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 9 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Design Team
We’re a tight-knit and collaborative team of Product Designers, Content Designers, and Researchers. We advocate for our users, envision a future that inspires, and deliver high-quality experiences that solve customer problems and drive successful business outcomes. We collaborate regularly through design critiques, work sessions, and cross-functional discussions to influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced Director of Research to lead and evolve the Research function at Thumbtack. In this role, you'll act as both a champion for our users and a strategic business leader, helping shape the long-term vision for our experience and product.
- Lead the Research function at Thumbtack, directly managing both ICs and managers.
- Empower the Research team to consistently deliver high-quality, impactful insights that allow us to explore new products, measure brand health, build a deeper understanding of our users, etc.
- Ensure research insights are shared and integrated into business and product decision-making.
- Cultivate a positive team culture of openness, curiosity, and bias for action.
- Partner with other Design team leaders to champion user-centered design practices and bend the broader company culture to be more user-centric.
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to envision, strategize, and guide the product direction.
- Be a fierce advocate for our users; through your team, your own voice, and systems and processes you implement.
What you’ll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please do apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 8+ years of experience in research, with 4+ years of experience leading and managing research teams
- Experience leading high-performing research teams in a fast-paced environment, with a demonstrated ability to balance research rigor with practicality
- Deep expertise in qualitative research methodologies, and a strong understanding of quantitative methodologies as well
- Excellent communication skills; comfortable engaging with a variety of stakeholders, including executive teams
- Excellent presentation and storytelling skills
- Passionate about advocating for users and cultivating a user-centered culture
- Ability to influence and lead change across the organization
Bonus points if you have
- Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Information Science, Computer Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience coding, writing SQL queries, Python, or statistical analysis
- Experience with two-sided marketplaces
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here.
For candidates living in San Francisco / Bay Area, New York City, or Seattle metros, the expected salary range for the role is currently $283,500 - $320,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services
- Cell phone and WiFi reimbursements
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: email@example.com.