Operations and Policy Analyst, Trust and Safety
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 9 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Risk Analytics and Policy Team
Trust and Safety’s Risk Analytics and Policy department partners with all areas of Thumbtack to drive Trust and Safety improvements in our platform and programs. The department splits into two groups: risk analysts and ops analysts. Ops analysts create and update global processes and policies - it’s our mission to improve the quality, efficiency, and scalability of Trust and Safety operations, while working in line with Thumbtack’s goals and values.
About the Role
As an Operations and Policy Analyst for Trust and Safety, you’ll be responsible for analyzing operational processes, identifying experience obstacles and process inefficiencies, building outlines and workflow maps, and project managing initiatives to completion. You’ll collaborate with internal leadership and cross-functional teams (Legal, Product, Engineering, Marketing, Support Operations, Enablement, etc.) on updates and solutions to improve the Thumbtack user experience and the Trust and Safety organization's operational processes, global policies, and documentation.
- Promote safety for users on Thumbtack by completing quarterly projects to improve the quality, efficiency, and scalability of Trust and Safety operations:
- Plan and prioritize, factoring in all dependencies and deliverables.
- Use data to inform your decisions, devise a strategy, and mitigate risks.
- Optimize processes, create new policies, and cascade changes.
- Build expertise quickly in any specialization related to your assignments.
- Look out for gaps, redundancies, pain points, etc. and take responsibility.
- Uncover root causes and implement solutions with minimal guidance.
- Follow-through on plans while communicating with stakeholders from all different levels and departments and holding contributors accountable.
- Adapt to unforeseen circumstances and drive results despite obstacles.
- Maintain and update significant Trust and Safety programs like the Thumbtack Guarantee, the Thumbtack Solution Center, the Non-Discrimination Policy, Data Privacy compliance, Dispute Mediation, Terms of Service enforcement, etc.
- Collaborate with Product, Engineering, Legal, Enablement, Sales, Marketing, and Operations (Trust and Safety, Customer Support, Refunds), etc. as needed to align on the Trust and Safety vision, requirements, and enforcement strategies.
- Become a subject matter expert on our global Trust and Safety processes and policies and take ownership for seeking solutions with appropriate parties whenever you identify issues.
- Draft standard operating procedures (between 10 to 50 pages), regularly write project charters, utilize various project management frameworks and roadmaps, present findings/recommendations, etc.
- Manage stakeholders with clear, direct, detailed, organized, adaptable, and persuasive communication (verbal and written).
What you'll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2+ years in project management or process improvement, leading complex projects to successful outcomes (impacting approx. 10 to 100+ people).
- Track record of analytical decision-making and problem-solving skills, which includes executing/driving solutions forward yourself.
- Has written clear, detailed, organized proposals, processes, workflows, etc.
- Strong communicator with the ability to explain your findings and recommendations to various stakeholders and audiences.
- Can quickly build expertise, absorb details, and adapt to shifting priorities.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills and responds to new/complex situations with curiosity, creativity, and empathy.
Bonus points if you have
- Experience in Trust and Safety, risk mitigation, or dispute resolution
- Experience with Waterfall or Agile Methodology
- Lean/Six Sigma or other Project Management Professional Certification
- Bilingual (Spanish-speaking)
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines. Learn more about our virtual-first working model here. #LI-Remote
For candidates living in San Francisco / Bay Area, New York City, or Seattle metros, the expected salary range for the role is currently $68,000 - $92,000 Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
For candidates living in all other US locations, the expected salary range for this role is currently $58,000 - $78,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services
- Cell phone and WiFi reimbursements
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.